I dream of a time when TeX notation will be acceptable and universal
in contexts like this.

y=(1/N) \sum_{i=0}^N x_i

doesn't stay ugly for very long, and is ultimately easier to read.
And you can paste it into here:
http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php and then it's actually
even MORE readable than anything rendered in ASCII... and it's
completely precise.

Dave.