I am following this "C to VHDL" thing now for 15 years. Mentor had a
tool to do that already in 2005.

Up to now, the basic issue never changed:

C/C++ has not the options to define those things which are required to
generate an application specific hardware. But exactly this is the point
about FPGA programming: Defining an intelligent solution for a specific
problem. Then they become efficient. And they become very efficient if
you manage to think of an intelligent hardware structure. If MATLAB HDL
Coder oder Xilinx HLS should be able to find this from the C definition,
first the C definition had to contain the solution and MATWORKS or
XILINX must have taken this particular idea into account and must have
put in into the library.

Both ist not the case.

This way you can only get a standard hardware which performs your
function and shun some work in balancing the timing and simplfy vector
width handling and trimming of calculations.

The vast majority of the solution anyway is getting known and existing
cores instatiated automatically instead of instatiating them manually by
copy and paste.