On 10/03/2020 00:41, Ethan Duni wrote:
Right, but if you are using length K FFT and zero-padding by K-1, then the hop
size is 1 sample and there are no windows.

You can have windows when hop size is 1 sample (as used in the sliding phase vocoder (SPV) proposed by Andy Moorer exactly 20 years ago, and the focus of a research project I was part of around 2007). So long as the window is based on sines and cosines, it can be done bin by bin as a frequency-domain covolution. The SPV has been implemented in Csound for those cases where single-sample control rates were being used. For larger block sizes it reverts to the standard block-based streaming phase vocoder.

One possibly interesting aspect of the SPV then is that one sample of input generates one sample of output, though of course a full frame takes a while to develop. There are papers, some from ICMC of 2007, and others from various Csound and similar conferences. If people are interested, I can can probably find more details.

Richard Dobson