Hello again,

First of all, let me thank everyone who was kind enough to respond to
my query, especially Christian Mondrup who provided a great deal of
help behind the scenes as well as on the list.

Thanks to all your help, I think I've now got everything installed all
right. I'm reading my way through the manual and attempting to put a
few of the basics into practice as I go along, but so far I haven't
had any success at producing the example files in the musixexa.zip
package. (Yes, I've seen the chapter on examples in the manual and
have only tried the "clean MusiXTeX examples" listed there.) Running
TeX on the files produces the .mx1 and .dvi files all right, running
musixflx on .mx1 yields .mx2, but the third pass elicits a stream of
"undefined control sequence l.1 \lineset" messages and no output. What
haven't I understood?

Eva

--
"I don't play the clarinet. I speak music."
   ---Giora Feidman (clarinetist with Israel Philharmonic)