On Saturday, February 03, 2001 8:58 AM, Guido Milanese
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> I have some problems with score2prt. If I run pmx, the final TeX
> output
> is correct; however, running score2prt produces errors, in some
> cases
> in wrong position of words, in other cases the program confuses the
>
> voices and outputs the 1st bar of voice 1 is added to voice 2, the
> first bar of voice 2 to voice 3, and so on.
> I add an extract (1st Osanna from Machaut's Sanctus). The error I
> get
> here is: wrong placement of words. The file is written under Linux,
> so
> if read under Dos or Mac end of lines must be converted from Unix

I don't do lyrics, but I think this is not a scor2prt problem.
 Scor2prt follows a particular set of rules in transferring literal
TeX commands. For example it transfers all type-3 TeX to all parts.
 It looks to me like M-Tx inserted type-3 commands that said, for
example, to assign certain lyrics to instrument number so-and-so.
 Then scor2prt transfers that command (along with all the other
type-3 commands) into the part.  But in the part there is only one
instrument and it is number 1.  So the lyrics commands for inst 1 in
the score, which will also be transferred to all parts because they
are type-3), will be the active ones for *every* part.

There are a number of possible solutions I can think of.

1. M-Tx could have its own scor2prt, making a set of "child" .mtx
files from one parent file.  That way all editing could be confined
to the parent .mtx file.

2. It might be done more easily in M-Tx, without an auxilliary
program, by taking advantage of the fact the scor2prt copies all
type-3 strings to all parts.  You could write a TeX macro, say
\partforpart{#1}, that could be called from the parts.  The macro
would fake TeX into using the lyrics for part{#1} in place of the
ones for part 1.  M-Tx could insert in-line TeX into the .pmx so that
appropriate calls to \partforpart are written to the appropriate part
when scor2prt is run.  This is done with extensions of the PMX
comment apparatus.

3. Also OK might be to manually edit the .pmx file, using the
above-mentioned PMX mechanisms for re-directing where the TeX strings
go. This has the advantage that neither M-Tx not PMX has to be
changed. But any further editing would have to be done in the .pmx,
not the .mtx.

4. Even less desirable would be to edit the individual parts, because
if you changed the score and re-ran scor2prt, you'd have to re-enter
the edits in the parts.

5. scor2prt might be taught to do the right things.  But for one
thing that would violate long standing tradition that scor2prt
doesn't try to parse or interpret TeX commands.  For another it would
not be very high on the priority list.

All this is based on some guesses about what's going on with lyrics.
 I apologize in advance if I'm off base here.

--Don Simons