Don Simons wrote:

> On Saturday, February 03, 2001 8:58 AM, Guido Milanese
> [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> > I have some problems with score2prt. If I run pmx, the final TeX
> > output
> > is correct; however, running score2prt produces errors, in some
> > cases
> > in wrong position of words, in other cases the program confuses the
> >
> > voices and outputs the 1st bar of voice 1 is added to voice 2, the
> > first bar of voice 2 to voice 3, and so on.
> > I add an extract (1st Osanna from Machaut's Sanctus). The error I
> > get
> > here is: wrong placement of words. The file is written under Linux,
> > so
> > if read under Dos or Mac end of lines must be converted from Unix
> >

> I don't do lyrics, but I think this is not a scor2prt problem.
>  Scor2prt follows a particular set of rules in transferring literal
> TeX commands. For example it transfers all type-3 TeX to all parts.
>  It looks to me like M-Tx inserted type-3 commands that said, for
> example, to assign certain lyrics to instrument number so-and-so.
>  Then scor2prt transfers that command (along with all the other
> type-3 commands) into the part.  But in the part there is only one
> instrument and it is number 1.  So the lyrics commands for inst 1 in
> the score, which will also be transferred to all parts because they
> are type-3), will be the active ones for *every* part.
>
> There are a number of possible solutions I can think of.
>
> 1. M-Tx could have its own scor2prt, making a set of "child" .mtx
> files from one parent file.  That way all editing could be confined
> to the parent .mtx file.
>
> 2. It might be done more easily in M-Tx, without an auxilliary
> program, by taking advantage of the fact the scor2prt copies all
> type-3 strings to all parts.  You could write a TeX macro, say
> \partforpart{#1}, that could be called from the parts.  The macro
> would fake TeX into using the lyrics for part{#1} in place of the
> ones for part 1.  M-Tx could insert in-line TeX into the .pmx so that
> appropriate calls to \partforpart are written to the appropriate part
> when scor2prt is run.  This is done with extensions of the PMX
> comment apparatus.
>
> 3. Also OK might be to manually edit the .pmx file, using the
> above-mentioned PMX mechanisms for re-directing where the TeX strings
> go. This has the advantage that neither M-Tx not PMX has to be
> changed. But any further editing would have to be done in the .pmx,
> not the .mtx.
>
> 4. Even less desirable would be to edit the individual parts, because
> if you changed the score and re-ran scor2prt, you'd have to re-enter
> the edits in the parts.
>
> 5. scor2prt might be taught to do the right things.  But for one
> thing that would violate long standing tradition that scor2prt
> doesn't try to parse or interpret TeX commands.  For another it would
> not be very high on the priority list.

> [...]

Yet another solution - allthough not perfect - is a perl script exmtx.pl
I have made for that purpose. The script is avaible from the M-Tx
section of GMD
http://www.gmd.de/Misc/Music/musixtex/software/mtx/mtxutil.zip. I use it
myself for my modern edition of the madrigals by Mogens Pedersøn
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus