Regarding merge commits: I will (and have) stopped merging the topic
branches into main.  But there are merges I'm supposed to make:

Synchronize with your local repository

Make sure you are in your master branch (not one of your topic branches),
and fetch any upstream changes:

$ git checkout master
$ git fetch upstream
$ git merge upstream/master

>From what I can see, this will cause merge commits when I create a pull
request.  Am I doing something wrong?  Not understanding?

Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)