There's an accepted enhancement to add command-line support for
global-staff-size to LilyPond:

The enhancement would open the door to specify override values for
global-staff-sizes for letter/A4 in the source code.  Mutopia scripts could
then implement the distinct values for Letter vs. A4 PDF generation...I'm
thinking headers \mutopiaLetterStaffSize = X, \mutopiaAFourStaffSize = Y, or
some other more elegant solution.

I often spend time adjusting spacing to make both letter & A4 acceptable, while
avoiding orphan systems, page breaks in less-than-ideal measures, too-airy
pages, etc.

Adjustments (in order of preference and their impact on maintainability &
readability):
* adjust vertical margins/distances/padding for titles & footers
* adjust left/right margins
* fixed line-width
* adjusting staff-staff-spacing min distance
* add breaks and/or noBreaks here an there
* adjust staff-size (within range 18-21)

It's surely a matter of personal preference, but in general, I prioritize
font-size over other formatting adjustments.  That is to say, I spend time
trying out other formatting fixes, including ragged pages, before I decide to
go with global-staff-size smaller than ~18.

Javier