#3040: charset difference between index browser and pager

Comment (by Miek Gieben):

 {{{
 [18 Mar, @22:05 CET, Mutt wrote in "Re: [Mutt] #3040: charset diff ..."]
 > #3040: charset difference between index browser and pager
 >
 >  > set assumed_charset=UTF-8
 >  > set charset=UTF-8//TRANSLIT
 >
 >  Do not set $charset. There are very few good reasons for it.
 >  There is *never* a good reason to use UTF-8 and //TRANSLIT at the same
 >  time.

 Thanks for your reply, I've removed those settings from my muttrc. But
 the discrepancy between the index and the pager isn't gone, except that
 the question marks in the index look more fancy now.

 >  > Suppose my name (Miek Gieben) would contain some high unicode
 >  > codepoint character at the second position. In the index browser it
 >  > would be displayed as
 >  >   M?ek Gieben
 >
 >  It's possible that your name is being mis-encoded in email, and so it
 >  is taking various paths through mutt on the way to being displayed
 >  based on whether mutt notices the problem or not.

 The content type of the email showing this problem is set to us-ascii,
 so this might indeed be a problem. But for a user I would expect
 that mutt would either _always_ fail to correctly display this name,
 or would do it correctly in the index_browser and in the pager.

 So I would still consider this a bug in mutt...

 --
 grtz,
  - Miek

--