Thanks to all for the replies :)  I got urlview working, discovering
three things:

1-There was no .urlview in either /etc or my home directory.
Apparently Red Hat 6.1 didn't do this?

2-My .muttrc, the default which came with the package, had the \cb
binding set for the index but not the pager.  Adding the pager, it got
it to run....in the pager.

3-The Red Hat sample.urlview has the following command:
to invoke for selected URL
COMMAND netscape -remote 'openURL(%s)'
I get an error message if Netscape is not open; works only with
Netscape running.

Question:  How to get to launch Netscape if not open and/or same
question for lynx?

Thanks for the great support, folks!  :)

John