There have been various discussions over the last few years about
including a news reader into mutt. The standard purist line is to not do
so, on the grounds that one should have different programs for different
tasks. I have tended to agree with this and have used slrn for some years.

However I recently tried Vsevolod Volkov's nntp patch for mutt just for
fun, but I am hooked. This is the way for me in the future. I have
changed my mind. I think this patch should be added to the stable release
of mutt. Reasons?

However hard one tries to customorize mutt or slrn to be the same there
are irritating small differences.

A news-friendly mutt is easier to use with posting to news via a
Mail2News gateway as I have to do as our local news server seems to
never allow posting. I set up folder-hooks to add the appropriate
Newsgroup: header, used an alias for the Mail2News e-mail address and
just use "m" and "r" to post and followup. In "r" I change the To: line
with ^U and type the alias "m2n" - easy.

I like to save postings as e-mail messages. With slrn I used to mail
them to myself. Now I can just save them in a mail folder.

The extra size of the executable is not that large and, of course, those
who do not want it can compile without --enable-nntp.

It is easier to swop and change between mail and news, particularly on a
single window from a dial-up line.

What about it? Can we have news in mutt?

Brian.
--
Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      School of Biological, Environmental and Chemical Sciences, SITE,