On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 12:30:22PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Having longtime searched for a nice printing-command, i've finally
> choosen the next one :
>
> set print_command="fmt --prefix='>' -s | fmt -s | a2ps -b"" -1 -R
>--pretty-print=mail -o $(date +%x-%X | tr : .).ps"
>
> a2ps gives very nice layouts with the option --pretty-print=mail,
> particularly with the use of different fonts for headers, body-text and
> quoted-text, but there is some limitations. It does'nt wrap the long
> lines, so messages coming from mailers like Outlook have lines cutted
> without regarding the words-boundaries.
>
> With a first pipe fmt -s, the lines are wrapped, but the "smart font
> selection" is lost for long quoted-text (only the first line begins with
> a ">").
>
> So the solution was to pipe two successives fmt commands ; the first
> concerns the quoted-text and insert the prefix ">" in the beginning of
> every wrapped line. The 2d wraps the other lines.
>
> I also add the next options to a2ps :
>
> -b"" this to avoid the header but preserve the title (better than -B)
> -o $(date +%x-%X | tr : .).ps to send the output to a file rather than
> the printer. The name of the file is producted by the current date.
>
> Try it. Comments welcome.

This is indeed a nice solution, although I do not see why you want to
send it to this kind of file and not a printer. Let me point out however
that the whole world is not linux. The fmt command you use is the Gnu
fmt from the textutils Gnu package. Other fmt commands such as the AIX
one I tried first do not support what is being done here.

Cheers, Brian.

--
Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chemistry, School of BECS, SITE, NT University, Darwin, NT 0909, Australia.