On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 12:40:26PM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 05:17:27PM +0000, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> > Although the manual doesn't explicitly mention it, regular expressions in
> > mutt seem to be case insensitive. So even although mutt supports
> > [:lower:] and [:upper:], they do not work as expected and end up being
> > equivalent to [:alpha:]. So does anyone know solutions to this,
> > overrides in mutt, or any helpful patches.
>
> >From the mutt manual:
>
>   4.1.  Regular Expressions

>   The search is case sensitive if the pattern contains at least one
>   upper case letter, and case insensitive otherwise. ....
>
> So it may be that the pattern must contain at least one literal
> upper-case letter to be case-sensitive and that [:upper:] doesn't count
> for that.  If using [:upper:] doesn't make the search case-sensitive, I
> would say that's a bug.

I must have missed that when I read that section. Thanks. Before I tried
[:upper:] I tried [A-Z] and it didn't seem to work either (I was doing
'~s [A-Z]' and it still showed messages *not* containing any upper case
letters). Perhaps 'bracketed' things somehow miss the check for upper
case letters. It probably doesn't check everything for upper case
letters as (presumably) something like ~C shouldn't get taken as one. I
had a quick glance at the source, but state machines and re compilers
are not really *that* fun.

--
Benjamin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]>