Am 13.03.2018 um 22:59 schrieb Roger House:
In all respects except one, the treatment of Unicode works just fine. I can write Unicode to database tables, read it, display it, etc., with no problems. The exception is mysql, the MySQL Command-Line Tool. When I execute a SELECT statement to see rows in a table containing the Venus and Mars Unicode characters, here is what I see on the screen:

|| Venus | ♀ | | Mars | ♂ | |

What I should see in the right column are the standard glyphs for Venus and Mars.

Any ideas about how to get the MySQL Command-Line Tool to display Unicode properly?
what operating system
what terminal

all recent Linux systems have UTF8 as default