Hi Roger,

(please note, this is a bottom-post forum)

On 3/13/2018 7:54 PM, Roger House wrote:

> On 03/13/2018 03:11 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 13.03.2018 um 22:59 schrieb Roger House:
>>> In all respects except one, the treatment of Unicode works just fine.
>>> I can write Unicode to database tables, read it, display it, etc.,
>>> with no problems. The exception is mysql, the MySQL Command-Line
>>> Tool. When I execute a SELECT statement to see rows in a table
>>> containing the Venus and Mars Unicode characters, here is what I see
>>> on the screen:
>>>
>>> || Venus | ♀ | | Mars | ♂ | |
>>>
>>> What I should see in the right column are the standard glyphs for
>>> Venus and Mars.
>>>
>>> Any ideas about how to get the MySQL Command-Line Tool to display
>>> Unicode properly?
>> what operating system
>> what terminal
>>
>> all recent Linux systems have UTF8 as default

I am running Ubuntu MATE 16.04.  I have the problem also on Windows 7
and on Mac OS Version 10.11.6.  I do not think that the problem has to
do with the operating system nor the terminal.  Everything about the
Unicode text works fine in all tools such as editors, the cat command,
etc.  It is only when I am running mysql and I issue a SELECT command to
see what is in a row.  Then the UTF-8 is not rendered properly.  I
believe the problem is with mysql.

Roger

If I presume that your terminal has a code page that is utf8-compatible (you say that cat command renders the multibyte characters just fine) then it could be your client-side mysql settings that are rendering those multibyte characters into individual glyphs based on their individual byte values.

The next time you are in mysql and have a chance to look at some utf8 data, please collect and share these two reports:

status
SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES like '%haracter%';

(you can obfuscate any sensitive details like server names or addresses)

Yours,
--
Shawn Green
Oracle USA, Inc. - Integrated Cloud Applications & Platform Services

Become certified in MySQL! Visit https://www.mysql.com/certification/ for details.