Painting with a broad brush the differentiation between student and
administrative networks is based on location,role and ownership A public
ethernet port in a library is a "student" network even though
"administrative" computers may be connected from time to time.  The
librarian's machine is attached to a "administrative" network.  This is a
fluid definition since the students often work on "administrative"
computers.

The real differentiator is the "student" networks are comprised of
machines the university does not own or have direct administrative control
over and securing these machines is up to the owner.

An administrative network is a network of machines owned and controlled by
the university hence the security policy is defined, implemented and
enforced by the responsible parties within the university.

                            Scott C. McGrath