On 5/19/22 18:15, Dave Taht wrote:

So I kind of view recycling routers, with newer software, as a great
way to clean up the present ecosystem. And if you  looked at the first
url I pasted above, with 4x more throughput, and 10x less latency, on
"obsolete", hw.

When I had my battle with Cisco over LDPv6 vs. SR(v6) in 2020, I told them that Covid has really changed the landscape, and people (read: their customers) no longer have money to spend like they did, for a multitude of reasons, not the top of which is a lack. of. money.

I said to them that they need to focus on helping customers answer their "why", and not continue with the old model of having sales meetings and assigning $$ values against customer names for the year, as if ants visit PoP's and chew routers down to smithereens as a matter of course.

People no longer have money to spend on things that don't add value. And while routers do add value, how vendors choose to make money from them beyond selling the hardware and providing decent support is what erodes that value, and customer trust.

Users will delete an app in 5 seconds if they launch it and it doesn't do what it claims in a way they perceive as value. Service providers will do the exact same thing to vendors that act like disappointing apps competing for space on your phone and space in your mind.

Mark.