On Apr 7, 2013, at 00:31 , Mikael Abrahamsson <swm...@swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Apr 2013, Fabien Delmotte wrote:
>
>> CGN is just a solution to save time, it is not a transition mechanism
>> through IPv6
>> At the end (IPv6 at home) you will need at list :
>> Dual stack or NAT64/ DNS64
>
> CGN doesn't stop anyone deploying dual stack. NAT64/DNS64 is dead in the
> water without other mechanisms (464XLAT or alike).

True... But... Resources deploying/maintaining all of these keep IPv4-limping
along technologies are resources taken away from IPv6 deployment.

> My point is that people seem to scoff at CGN. There is nothing stopping
> anyone putting in CGN for IPv4 (that has to be done to handle IPv4 address
> exhaustion), then giving dual stack for end users can be done at any time.

Not really...

> Face it, we're running out of IPv4 addresses. For basic Internet
> subscriptions the IPv4 connectivity is going to be behind CGN. IPv6 is a
> completely different problem that has little bearing on CGN or not for IPv4.
> DS-Lite is also CGN, it just happens to be done over IPv6 access. MAP is also
> CGN.

No, it really isn't. Sufficient IPv6 deployment at the content side would
actually allow the subscriber side to be IPv4 or dual-stack for existing
customers with new customers receiving IPv6-only. The missing piece there is
actually the set-top coversion unit for IPv4-only devices. (Ideally, a dongle
which can be plugged into the back of an IPv4-only device with an IPv6-only
jack on the other side. Power could be done a number of ways, including POE
(with optional injector), USB, or other.

> I'm ok with people complaining about lack of IPv6 deployment, but I don't
> understand people complaining about CGN. What's the alternative?

IPv6 deployment _IS_ the alternative. They are not orthogonal.

Owen