And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:

GARDINER BROUGHT TO STANDSTILL
Toronto Star, June 17, 1999, by Peter Small

[S.I.S.I.S. note:  The following mainstream news article may contain biased
or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts and/or context.
It is provided for reference only.]

Native protesters blocked yesterday morning's rush-hour traffic on the
Gardiner Expressway for 1 1/2 hours in a battle over who controls federal
job-training funds for urban aboriginals.

"It's only the start of this issue," said Vince Hill, executive director of
the Niagara Peninsula Aboriginal Area Management Board, one of the native
organizations that participated in the protest. "If they think they had a
problem at Oka, that was a family picnic," Hill said, referring to the 1990
armed standoff with Mohawks in Quebec.

At stake is who controls more than $3 million a year in federal funding for
native employment services and skills training in the Golden Horseshoe.

Thousands of commuters heading downtown were caught in the rush-hour chaos
as about 75 demonstrators blocked the eastbound lanes, chanting, banging
drums and carrying Mohawk flags and protest signs. Police finally forced
them to leave the Gardiner at Spadina Ave. about 9:30 a.m. The protesters,
most of whom wore red T-shirts, had marched on to the elevated expressway
at 8 a.m. from a ramp at the west end of Exhibition Place, accompanied by a
pickup truck. They initially occupied one lane and then, as cars slowed
down to take a look, were gradually able to occupy all three, said Toronto
police Staff Sergeant Michael Fenwick.

Police didn't make any arrests or lay charges, judging it safer to allow
the demonstrators to proceed to the nearest exit rather than risk a
potentially dangerous confrontation on an elevated road, Fenwick said. "We
did the best we could, given the resources I had under my disposal. I don't
have an army," Fenwick said. About 20 officers were sent to the scene and
they were backed up by traffic police.

After occupying the Gardiner, the protesters made their way up Spadina Ave.
and over to Nathan Phillips Square for a rally. Leaders said they had no
other way of getting government attention.

"Yes, we regret that those drivers were inconvenienced going to work. We
only regret that we didn't have work to go to when we're shut out of this
government," said Roger Obonsawin, a spokesperson for the Aboriginal Rights
Movement, made up of supporters of the threatened job training programs.

It was their second protest in recent weeks. On Victoria Day, protesters
blocked the Queen Elizabeth Way near Burlington, delaying holiday traffic
for more than an hour.

The Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training, on Yonge St.,
administered $3.2 million of federal money last year for native programs in
Toronto, said executive director Nancy Martin. The programs include job
counselling, academic upgrading and computer training. "What's really
successful is it's aboriginal people helping aboriginal people," Martin
said. Miziwe Biik and the Niagara Peninsula Aboriginal Area Management
Board fear that local control of the system will disappear now that the
federal government has changed the method of providing funds.

Starting Oct. 1, funding for federal job training will be controlled by two
other groups, the Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Centres, a
network of 27 centres, and Grand River Employment and Training, on the Six
Nations Reserve. After winning a bidding process, these two groups will
have the right to control the delivery of the services across Ontario for
the federal government.

Reached in her Six Nations office, Elvera Garlow, director of Grand River
Employment and Training, said the two successful bidders have sent a letter
to Miziwe Biik, inviting it to continue delivering services and
administering funds as it does now in Toronto. Miziwe Biik's executive
director said she had not yet seen the letter, but added: "It's good if
that is happening." Martin said her experience with such offers is that
they sound good but that often "it's not what they say."

At the square, the protesters said they wanted to meet with Toronto Mayor
Mel Lastman. Lastman, who was attending a ceremony in Scarborough, said he
was unaware of any invitation but is willing to meet with the protesters.
"I'll meet with anybody who's trying to help themselves," he said. The
mayor said it was unfortunate that the protesters had disrupted traffic to
make their point, "but people do things out of frustration."

The groups are also demanding a meeting with Human Resources Minister
Pierre Pettigrew and say he has not responded to their requests. Bob
Howson, of Human Resources Development Canada, said the minister has
instructed him and another official to deal with the issue. Howson said the
two groups are not necessarily out of the running to continue delivering
the programs. "They could, or they could not," Howson said. Howson said the
change in funding is not a reflection on the quality of the work being done
by the two Indian organizations, but part of a national reorganization.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed
a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.