And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>From BIGMTLIST

The following are portions of a long message just received.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 02:17:07 EDT
Subject: Big Mountain Concerns and Update
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<snip>

I am Carlos Begay, spokesperson from the Cactus Valley Community.
<snip>
We need to fight with legal tools and with the help of
supporters and Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs).  The Navajo and Hopi
tribes and the US government do not help us and when we look around, what
we
see of the educated Dineh is that most of them have relocated and the elders
are left resisting alone, illiterate, unable to understand the numerous
laws
that are passed that threaten their ability to survive.

The reason we traveled to New York to the United Nations a couple of times
is
to obtain the support of NGOs who we rely upon.  We went to Geneva and
throughout Germany because we did it together with the help of Marsha
Monestersky, our Consultant who wrote grants to the World Council of Churches
and United Methodist Church and due to the kindness of Gary Knack, a
supporter from Maui Hawaii.

Marsha spends endless hours helping us for free.  She does legal research
so
we can use the government's laws and words against them, including the
Federal Regulations that allows us to get many animals out of the BIA
impoundment yard, including 3 cows and 3 calves belonging to my mother
Glenna
Begay.  She studies the Hopi Tribal Grazing Ordinance and the BIA Grazing
Management Study so we can clearly expose blatent discrimination by the
Hopi
tribe against the Dineh in the allocation of sheep units on HPL.  This
research helps us a lot because when we approach lawyers to help us they
just
have their hand out for money that we do not have.

My people need help because we are suffering gross violations of our
Constitutional rights and human rights and we are facing a forced relocation
deadline of February 1, 2000.  What we really need is for supporters to
help
us obtain legal help so we can stop the abuses by the US government
perpetuated against my people.  What we need is help with funds to pay
for
lawyers so we can file injunctions in federal court and stop the
confiscations and obtain repeal of the Relocation Acts.

We have to depend upon support people who work for free, devoting endless
hours and their expertise.  We are thankful to them for this.  People like
Mauro Oliveria and others from SOL Communications who spend countless hours
organizing food runs and for his work on a documentary that we support.
People like Bill and Rita Sebastian who continue to devote endless hours
helping us without ever asking for repayment of their debts.  People like
Eagle from Unity of Nations and Jennifer and Kim from ARC. And people like
Julia who just left today, Sunday, June 20 to return home to LA.

Julia drove here Friday night, June 18, with her friend Muriel, from LA
escort an animals rights activist to the Winslow Tract on Saturday, June
19,
meeting up with Anna Begay, an elder from Coal Mine Mesa and Marsha
Monestersky.  The purpose, to investigate the abuse of relocated cows
belonging to Dineh resisters, animals brought there just to avoid
confiscation by the BIA.  These exiled cows on the Winslow Tract face an
uncertain future, they are denied water, forage, and any chance to return
home.  Anna Begay who was there, together with Mae Tso and Mazzie Begay
all
said they were missing cows and calves that they fear are dead, describing
in
painful detail how their animals are starving and dying there on lands
they
do not know.

This land was leased by the Navajo tribe and is under the responsibility
of
the US Department of Agriculture.  It is my hope that the animal rights
activist can help stop this abuse against our animals.  This is a recent
issue we have begun to work on and this like all the other issues requires
that we fight the governmental agencies with papers and with long hours
of
hard work and dedication.

I also wonder how the BIA can justify continuing to confiscate our livestock
as a method of dealing with range management when the US Department of
Agriculture is aware of the drought and its preferred method of dealing
with
this problem is to help the Navajo tribe complete an application that will
provide funds to the tribe for HPL residents to receive hay, feed and water
for their animals.  Whose jurisdiction are we under?  The Navajo tribe
uses
the excuse that we are under the Hopi tribe and the Hopi tribe just denies
us
everything.  And in the meantime the US government continues to steal our
animals and profit from their sale at public auction.

Please contact Roman Bitsuie, Executive Director, Navajo Hopi Land
Commission, P.O. Box 2549, Window Rock, AZ  86515.  Phone:  (520) 871-6277.
Demand that he help the HPL residents.  Ask him how he can allow his own
people to starve when the US Department of Agriculture is willing to help.

Make sure he does whatever is necessary to make sure that the US Department
of Agriculture provides emergency relief to HPL residents.

<snip>

To all the supporters, please know that I appreciate your support.

Yours sincerely,
Carlos Beg

CONDITIONS ON THE WINSLOW TRACT

This portion is posted by Marsha Monestersky, Consultant

The condition of the Winslow tract that Carlos Begay describes is devastated.
 This leased land is under the jurisdiction of the US Department of
Agriculture and is not land turned over to the Navajo tribe as trust lands.

Anna Begay says, "My calf was missing last time and this time.  Last time
my
cows udder was full and her calf was missing.  This time her udder is smaller
and her calf is still missing.  I am afraid that she is dead.  A lot of
people are complaining about this place and many of us are missing our
cows
and calves."

Mazzie Begay says, "I am missing a cow last time I came here and this time.

This place is short of water and there is not enough water in the earth
dam."

Mae Tso says, "The animals are not used to the land here.  They are skinny.

They even make us look for our own cows.  They are supposed to be paid
to do
this."

When Donna Carstens, the US Department of Agriculture officer was asked
who
had jurisdiction over this land, she answered that she does, but her first
priority is ownership of the animals, then inspection of these animals
for
hauling permits, not the condition of the animals.  When she was asked
about
the poor condition of the range, she said that this land is so poor because
it has suffered from years of drought.  So why was this tract of land chosen
for the Dineh people's exiled animals?  Anna Begay's step son, Andrew Yazzie
Sr., looking at the sick and starving cows said, "I think they just brought
these animals here to die."

HOW YOU CAN HELP

Please contact: Donna Carstens, Badge 75, US Department of Agriculture,
Animals Services Division, Livestock Department, 1688 W. Adams, Phoenix,
AZ
85007.  Phone:  (1-800-294-0305).  Tell her that the conditions of the
range
is causing abuse to the animals.  The US Department must either shut down
the
Winslow tract or supplement the lack of forage and water by providing hay
and
feed and water troughs for the animals.

Please contact: Wilbert Goy, Navajo Hopi Land Commission, Box 2549, Window
Rock, AZ  86515.  Phone:  (520) 871-6441 and (520) 853-1147.  When elders
approached him, asking where their missing cows were, he said he didn't
know.
 When asked his name, he refused to provide the people with this information.
 Ask him how this land devoid of vegetation was the site chosen for exiled
cows and how basic services like outhouses could not even be provided for
use
by the Dineh that come to brand or visit their animals, forced to visit
only
once a month, the gate locked at all other times.

Time is of the essence as cows are sick and dying, their calves missing
and
presumed dead.  The Winslow tract should be shut down because this land
is
unfit for animals.  The forage conditions on Black Mesa, green to the eye,
certainly call into question the real motive behind livestock reduction
and
relocation of these cows to the tract by the BIA and the Hopi tribe.  For
how
much longer can the Navajo tribe knowingly assist in perpetuating abuse
against animals and the Dineh resisters?
For Big Mountain
and other activist internet resources, visit "The
Activist Page" at
http://www.theofficenet.com/~redorman/welcome.html
This message was sent to you by
Name: BIGMTLIST