Subj:   Re: Guardian 19990620 (UK) about G8 meeting and GM food warning
Genetic Engineering considered alongside AIDS!
Date:   6/21/99 11:32:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Betty Martini)
        London Guardian Unlimited

>GM food 'threatens the planet'
>Andy McSmith and Denis Staunton, Cologne and Antony Barnett
>Sunday June 20, 1999
>
>The world's most powerful leaders yesterday labelled genetically modified
>food, alongside Aids and the millennium bug, as one of the greatest threats
>facing the planet.
>
>In a significant blow to Tony Blair and President Bill Clinton, both men
>were bounced into agreeing a new global inquiry into the safety of GM foods
>at the G8 summit in Cologne. Blair and the US President have been two of the
>strongest supporters of the GM industry.
>
>Environmentalists welcomed the development as 'significant', but they warned
>that the public would not be 'duped by international committees interested
>in rubber-stamping products of biotechnology firms'.
>
>Tony Juniper, the director of Friends of the Earth, said: 'It shows just how
>far the thinking in the US and British Governments is from those in other
>leading nations. If this G8 initiative is to have any credibility, there
>must now be a five-year freeze on all GM food used commercially.'
>
>Monsanto, the US firm behind GM crops, also welcomed the move, saying it
>hoped it would speed up international approval of their products. Washington
>and Brussels are at loggerheads over GM technology, with the US threatening
>an all-out trade war if Europe tries to ban GM food.
>
>Yesterday the German Chancellor, Gerhard Schroder - supporting an initiative
>of French President Jacques Chirac - used his position as head of the host
>nation to put GM foods on the agenda of the G8 summit. The matter was
>included under 'global threats' along with Aids and the millennium bug. This
>Franco-German alliance symbolises the growing opposition on the Continent to
>the new technology.
>
>Two technical committees of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and
>Development will now begin to collate information from around the world to
>ensure that every country has access to the best research on the effects of
>genetic modification. Afterwards British officials defended the decision,
>saying that Britain also believes that 'food standards and food safety are
>vital to communities'.
>
>Ministers argue they will not give permission for commercial release of such
>crops until the trial results show these are safe. But environmental
>campaigners still believe that potential risks to human health have not been
>properly evaluated and are concerned that GM seeds can cross-pollinate into
>the countryside, destroying wild habitats.
>
>Opposition to genetically modified food is also beginning to grow in the US,
>where some 70 million acres of modified soya beans, tomatos, wheat and
>cotton are now grown across the country.
>
>This unexpected setback at the G8 summit took some of the shine off a
>personal success for Tony Blair, who persuaded the other G8 leaders to agree
>measures to improve teacher training worldwide.

> [...]
1. Take the 60-day No Aspartame Test and send us your case history.
Mission Possible International
5950-H State Bridge Rd.  #215            Duluth, GA 30097  USA
2. Tell your doctor and all of your friends!
3. Return Asparcidal food to the store.
(anything with Monsanto's NutraSweet/Equal/Spoonful/Benevia/NatraTaste)
VISIT http://www.dorway.com Get links to over 30 sites on aspartame
VISIT http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/   ..FAQs & Cases
VISIT http://www.notmilk.com Exposing Bovine Growth Hormone
           Disability and Death are not acceptable costs of business!

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html