And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:

INQUIRY EYES MANITOBA HYDRO FLOODING OF ABORIGINAL LANDS
CBC Radio, WebPosted Mon Jun 21 09:03:04 1999, Curt Petrovich reports

[S.I.S.I.S. note:  The following mainstream news article may contain biased
or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts and/or context.
It is provided for reference only.]

WINNIPEG - An inquiry into the effects of hydro-electric development in
Northern Manitoba begins Monday as a coalition of churches examines what
happened to native people who saw thousands of hectares of traditional
lands flooded in the Churchill River Diversion Project.

At the heart of the inquiry is a 20-year-old agreement that promised
compensation and prosperity for First Nations people living in the path of
the project. Five First Nations signed a deal with Ottawa to receive
ongoing compensation. Since then, they've made thousands of claims,
including some for death and injury.

David Newman, the minister responsible for Manitoba Hydro is concerned
about the inquiry's judgment, and says the inquiry could do more harm than
good. "Well-meaning people can do very serious damage by getting involved
in matters of this importance, without a knowledge of the facts and
informed opinion," Newman said.

Newman says every Manitoban's standard of living depends on Hydro's
exports, which totalled $300 million last year. And that prosperity depends
on the public utility's reputation. Newman planned to tell the inquiry that
Hydro and the province have met their obligations by pledging more than
$200 million compensation, with a commitment to more. Newman says only one
community, Cross Lake, continues to complain, by protesting against Hydro
to the UN and to Hydro's international customers.

The inquiry hopes to diffuse the conflict, says organizer, Oblate Brother
Thomas Novak. Novak says the inquiry may conclude Newman is right. Then
again, it may not. "If our prosperity is built on injustice and on the
suffering of others, that's more important than a few dollars up and down
in Manitoba's economic situation," Novak said.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed
a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.