And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: "LPDC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Peltier conference report
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 16:53:14 -0500

Dear Peltier supporters,
Below is a correction for the plan of action which was sent out recently
and, finally, a report from the conference:

Please remove the Febuary 6th, 2000 suggestion regarding working with the
North West Peltier Nework to do something along the Canada/U.S. border from
the plan of action we recently sent out.  It will be too cold during this
time and it will interfere with the North West LPSN's annual border event
which happens on October 12th.  Thank you.  ---LPDC

REPORT: LEONARD PELTIER ORGANIZING CONFERENCE
In an attempt to strengthen the movement to free Leonard Peltier and all
political prisoners, the LPDC sponsored the Leonard Peltier Organizing
Conference at Haskell Indian Nations University in Lawrence, Kansas on June
25-27 1999.  The two and a half day conference brought 200 people together
to listen to panelists, share ideas and information, and strategize ways to
gain freedom for Leonard Peltier. We feel that the conference was an overall
success as people left with a renewed sense of unity and determination to
build a stronger network.

Educators, human rights workers, activists, lawyers, Oglala survivors,
former prisoners, and traditional First Nations Peoples came together to
begin building a National and International base which, if we continue to
follow it through, will grow into a strong and united campaign to free
Peltier.

The conference began as Freedom Runners arrived from a 600-mile run, which
started in Covington, Kentucky.  The evening opened with a spiritual,
cultural and historical presentation on the Peltier case. A prayer was made
for the people who were killed on the Pine Ridge Reservation during the
reign of terror, and their names were read by Alexandra Peltier,
granddaughter of Leonard Peltier.  Hanging in the background was a huge
banner stating, “IT’S 1999 WHY IS LEONARD PELTIER STILL IN PRISON?” The
evening included traditional Native flute music, a reading from Leonard’s
new book, Prison Writings, My Life is My Sun Dance, testimony from Oglala
survivors, and a recorded statement from Leonard Peltier taken from the
film, “Still Not Justice.”

On Saturday June 26th, panel discussions were held which included topics on
legal issues, grass roots organizing, the international campaign to free
Leonard Peltier, Prison Issues, and political prisoners.  The legal panel
which included attorneys Jennifer Harbury, Eric Seitz, Carl Nadler, and Ted
Ross, addressed past and present legal proceedings, parole hearings, and the
need for mass public and political pressure before the lawyers feel they
will be successful in the courts.  Also discussed in detail was the recently
filed habeas corpus petition and the clemency process.
Highlights of the grass roots organizing panel included advice on how to
build strong regional networks by Arthur Miller as well as the importance of
persistency and consistency when it comes to grass roots organizing.
Michael Yellow Bird spoke on the need to build a strong student movement on
campuses and some ways by which to do this.  Also discussed by Ramona Africa
was the necessity for everyone to contribute to the campaign by using
whatever resources and skills at their disposal.  David Dellinger said
during this panel that through out his life time, there has never been more
activity to free U.S. political prisoners than today, an encouraging comment
considering that has been politically active since World War II.

During the International panel, Sylvain Duez-Alesandrini gave a
presentation on all of the work that has been accomplished on an
International level during the last year and the current attempts to bring
the United Nations Special  Rapporteur on Torture and members from the
Working Group on Arbitrary Detention to the U.S. to investigate Leonard and
other political prisoners’ cases.  Also discussed by Robin Brown was Amnesty
International’s current strategies which are to send information on Leonard’
s case to every Amnesty International Office (one million people), to
include a Peltier Action on the back cover of “Amnesty Now”, a magazine that
reaches 3000 people, to include an action in AI’s news letter which reaches
300,000 people, and the release of information to 900 activists through
Working Assets.  Dennis Brutus suggested we build a large network with Human
Rights Organizations and foreign governments.  He also discussed the
importance that we inform people in the U.S. about the reality of political
prisoners at home by reaching out to those outside of the activist realm.
Also discussed by Lennox Hinds was the history of International efforts with
the U.N. to bring attention to the existence of political prisoners in the
U.S.
What many thought was one of the most moving and enlightening panels was the
panel on Prison Issues.  Former prisoners, Bobby Castillo, Ida Robinson, Ben
Carnes, and Helen Felix-Baca told sobering and horrifying stories about
medical malpractice, torture, racism, violence, and sexual abuse they
witnessed and experienced in prison.  Also discussed by Deborah Peebles were
policies dealing with Native Religious Rights.

The panel on political prisoners included 12 panelists and outlined many
cases demonstrating the parallels between tactics used to suppress movements
for self-determination in the U.S.  Also discussed was the Jericho movement,
current tactics being used to harass and destroy grass roots organizations,
and the need for solidarity and coordination between all movements who have
political prisoners.
The evening ended with an honoring song and dance for the Peltier family
which included Leonard’s Grandchildren, daughter, brother, nephews and
nieces.
Sunday, June 27 included one panel discussion on lobbying, a discussion on
proposed plans of actions and strategizing in working groups.  During the
lobbying panel Jennifer Harbury spoke about the need to develop tightly
organized phone trees and communication systems because random calls to
Congress are not effective, however, if a lot of people are calling/faxing
on the same day it can be extremely impactful.  She also spoke about
lobbying in D.C. and explained ways to approach different types of
politicians.  Keith Jennings spoke on the need to lobby Human Rights
Organizations, city councils, and churches.  He emphasized the need to
appreciate each other despite our differences, or “identity politics” as
well as the importance of incorporating all of our different roles into the
overall campaign.

This was followed by an open discussion on the proposed plans of actions for
the years campaign.  We then split into three working groups on Fundraising
and Public Outreach, - Lobbying, - and - Direct Action.  In these groups the
plans of actions were discussed in more detail.  Many proposed to do
fundraisers on Leonard’s birthday (Sept. 12).  It was suggested we have
fundraiser birthday parties for him.  Others suggested mini pow wows with
blanket dances.  Many shared their skills and input.  We learned about the
most effective way to do a press release, ideas for fundraising, ideas for
networking and plans to lobby Congress as well as ways to do a month long
event to bring attention to Leonard’s case in Washington DC this Fall.

The feeling of unity and solidarity at the conference was overwhelming.  We
want to especially thank Mumia Abu Jamal and MOVE who continually offered up
their networks and support to help Leonard in a true act of solidarity.  We
also want to thank everyone who attended the conference for coming to Kansas
to be close to us and to Leonard.

David Chief, assisted by Jean Day, Cyrus Peltier (grandson of Leonard
Peltier), and Rick Goodshield closed the conference with a ceremony.

Again, if you were unable to come to the conference but want to be more
involved, please contact us to get organizing materials and to find out who
in your area you might be able to work with.  The conference was a good
start to a campaign that must continue to build and grow.

Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
PO Box 583
Lawrence, KS 66044
785-842-5774