And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From:         Piercing Eyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
forwarded for informational purposes only..contents have not been verified..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:23:05 EDT
Subject: Running Hall of Fame To Induct Four

Running Hall of Fame To Induct Four
.c The Associated Press

 UTICA, N.Y. (AP) - Billy Mills, the surprise winner of the 10,000 meters at
the 1964 Olympics, and Francie Larrieu Smith, a five-time Olympian, head a
class of four to be inducted into the National Distance Running Hall of Fame
Saturday.

Joining them will be running pioneer Nancy Kuscsik, the first women's winner
of the Boston Marathon, and 91-year-old Johnny Kelley, a two-time winner of
the Boston Marathon.

Mills produced one of the biggest upsets in Olympic history, winning the
10,000 at Tokyo. He defeated favorite Ron Clarke of Australia, setting an
Olympic record of 28 minutes, 24.4 seconds - 46 seconds faster than his
previous personal best.

Mills, an Oglala Lakota born on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota,
helped form Christian Relief Services, which raises $15 million for American
Indian youth, African charities and other causes.

Larrieu Smith, 46, ran on boys' teams in high school at Fremont, Calif., and
never received a college scholarship.

``There were no such things as scholarships, and there were no programs in my
high school,'' said Smith, who set 36 American records and 12 world bests at
distances from 1,000 to 10,000 meters.

Larrieu Smith, honorary chairwoman for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer
Foundation ``Race for the Cure,'' was inspired in part by her brother, Ron
Larrieu, who was a member of the 1964 Olympic team with Mills.

Kuscsik, who was the first two-time women's winner of the New York City
Marathon, was instrumental in developing rules that paved the way for
American and Olympic women's marathon championships.

``We had a meeting in 1970,'' said Kuscsik, who was diagnosed with breast
cancer 20 years ago. ``We decided our goal was to either have women be
allowed to run, or they'd have to call it a men's marathon. I did what I did,
and I'm glad I did it.''

Kelley is the grand old man of road racing. He saw his first Boston Marathon
in 1921, and ran the race for the first time in 1928. He didn't finish, but
he completed the Boston Marathons 58 times in 61 starts. He won in 1935 and
1945 and finished second seven times.

Kelley, who ran Boston the last time in 1992 at 85, was a national champion
11 times in the marathon, 15,000 meters, 20,000 meters and 25,000 meters from
1937-1954.

Although he competed long before it was possible to make a living as a
distance runner, Kelley has no regrets.

``I never made any money running,'' he said. ``But I'm the richest athlete in
the world.''

AP-NY-07-09-99 1721EDT

 Copyright 1999 The Associated Press.  The information  contained in the AP
news report may not be published,  broadcast, rewritten or otherwise
distributed without  prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html