And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Received from Dawn of LISN for circulation

Hello Ishgooda:

Thought you might be interested in this letter.  (Have one from the
1950s that I'll send later).  It is just one more document of many
confirming the source of fluoride shipped to cities for water
fluoridation.

In reading this, remember from an earlier post, that the EPA Union of
Scientists' released their white paper on May 1, 1999 stating their
opposition to water fluoridation.  Also, bear in mind that Clinton's
agenda still includes the fluoridation of  75% of America by Year 2000.
(More on this later.)  With all the scientific data now available, and
the number of cities which have ceased fluoridation of their drinking
water, or have voted fluoridation down, why would anyone continue to
push for this health risk practice???

WHY EPA'S HEADQUARTERS UNION OF SCIENTIST'S
OPPOSES FLUORIDATION
http://www.lisn.net/healthissues-fluoridation.htm#health

-------------------------
Gary O. Pittman
Rt. 1 Box 85-A
 Jennings, FL 32053

November 18, 1998

RE: Fluoridating drinking water with fluorosilicic acid (H2SiF6)/sodium
fluorosilicate (Na2SiF6)

Dear Congressman or Senator:

I worked in the phosphate fertilizer industry for about twenty­one years,
my last position was supervising one­third of the evaporation and
purification processes at the Occidental Chemical Corporation, Swift Creek
Chemical Complex. That position required a thorough knowledge of almost
every facet of producing phosphoric acid for fertilizer and animal feed
supplement.

Today, I am disabled and suffer from toxic brain syndrome, emphysema, heart
arrhythmias and other health problems due to chemical exposure. Many of my
coworkers also suffer from similar illnesses. Of the eight original people
in my support group, two are dead from cancers: one man had lung and liver
cancer, and the second man died from myeloma (bone cancer); neither man had
ever smoked and seldom, if ever, consumed alcoholic beverages according to
their wives and friends. Another man has leukemia which is presently in
remission. Many of my coworkers have developed brain cancers/tumors and
stomach cancers. Myopathy, arthritis, liver dysfunctions, lung problems,
symptoms of toxic brain syndrome, etc. are also very common health problems
among my coworkers and myself. Toxic brain syndrome and heart problems seem
to be the most common problems among the workers. Hamilton County also has
the highest rate of cancer in Florida due to pollution from phosphoric acid
manufacturing.

The doctors at Shands Hospital, Gainesville, FL (specializing in cancer
research and treatment) said that the type of lung and liver cancer one man
died from were unidentifiable, they had never seen it before.

You might say that I should be contacting my own U.S. Representative and
Senator because this is a regional problem, and it is not in your back
yard. However, this is not the case. We were exposed to the same chemicals
that the USEPA and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
recommends as a fluoridation agent to fluoridate the drinking water for
over 100,000,000 people. It is likely that your constituents are consuming
the pollution, and you might be drinking it because Washington, D.C. is
fluoridated.

Over 50% of the communities in the United States use fluorosilicic acid
(H2SiF6) or sodium fluorosilicate (Na2SiF6) to fluoridate drinking water.
Neither the USEPA nor U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention can
provide one safety study proving the product is safe for long­term,
low­level consumption. Not one clinical study with animal models has ever
been done with the products.

Both fluorosilicic acid (FSA) and sodium fluorosilicate (SFS) are derived
from pollution scrubbing operations from phosphoric acid production. The
pollution scrubber liquor is a unique product derived from a specific
process with unique toxicological characteristics. The presence of
chlorides, amines, diesel fuel, kerosene, sulfides, reagents, metals
(including arsenic, lead, aluminum, uranium-238 and its decay rate
products, etc.), phosphorus and other toxic reactants create a specific
product in which FSA is the active ingredient. FSA only comprises about 23%
of the total pollution concentrate. It is a highly corrosive acid which can
react with most organic and inorganic substances to form many different
complexes and possibly very toxic fluorides. I state again, not one safety
study has been done with these particular products.

There are many factors involved in the creation of the FSA. Once an insight
is gained about how the phosphoric acid is made, the FSA becomes even more
frightening. Other chemicals are added such as oil based defoamers
(possibly containing dioxins), polymers, petroleum products, naphthalene,
chlorides, sulfides, Synspar and various reagents. During the phosphoric
acid concentration processes, these added chemicals and inherent toxic
contaminants common in phosphate rock are boiled off the acid in a partial
vacuum at very high temperatures, about 500 degrees F. The vapors from all
these chemicals are washed and captured in the pollution scrubbers along
with the fluorine and fluorosilicate gases.

Although it is more convenient for scientists to believe the pollution
scrubbing is discriminate, it is not. One scrubber catches all, including
pollution from tank farms and other processes. Also, the more efficient the
scrubbing operation, the more contaminants will be concentrated in the
scrubber liquor.

Phosphoric acid reaction vessels are made of the alloy, Hastelloy G­30. The
Hastelloy G­30 vessels only last for about three years before they are
tossed or rebuilt. Each vessel costs about $1,000,000. The vessels are
corroded beyond use by the presence of fluorides and chlorides in the
phosphoric acid. The metals from Hastelloy G­30 (nickel, beryllium, etc.)
are also present in the FSA as metal complexed fluorosilicates.

Sulfuric acid is produced at these facilities, and the spent vanadium
pentoxide catalyst, production sludge and waste water are dumped into the
evaporation (settling) ponds. Evaporation ponds are the catch­all for
almost all toxic wastes: radioactive scale from reaction vessels and
filters, phosphoric acid sludges, radioactive fluorosilicates chipped from
scrubbing pads and chambers, and general toxic wastes are tossed into the mix.

To make matters worse, evaporation pond water is always used in the
pollution scrubbers because there are strict regulations regarding fresh
water usage in Florida. Most of the waste water, sludges and waste
chemicals from the analytical labs are dumped into the evaporation ponds
which is reused in production and/or to make the FSA for water fluoridation.

At this point, I believe it is evident that we are not dealing with a
simple, pure, reagent grade SFA/SFS purchased from the chemical supply
house as most researchers/chemists find it convenient to believe and
predicate their hypotheses and research upon. If the captured pollution had
no fluorides present, it would be dangerous to put in the water, but with
the complex chemical reactions and possible reactions with both organic and
inorganic compounds, FSA/SFS are very dangerous and
carcinogenic/neurotoxic, as I well know.

This scenario is well beyond some laboratory chemist or researcher placing
a few drops of reagent grade FSA or SFS into a flask of distilled water to
make a "theoretical determination;" it is not the same product.

The most frightening aspect is that no two batches are the same, and the
toxic effects can vary from batch to batch. There would also be a variance
from company to company supplying the product because of the type/grades of
chemicals, quality of the phosphate rock, processes and what kind of
solvent extraction method is used to produce phosphoric acid (solvent
extraction is not commonly used anymore unless uranium is being extracted
from 23­34% phosphoric acid, the Synspar flux method is preferred today).

About 6.8 mg/liter of 23% FSA is added to the water to achieve fluoridation
at 1.0 ppm. The FSA is an ingredient in a complex product, and because of
the nature of the chemical in the product, complex interactions have to
occur during manufacture, e.g. heat, negative atmospheric pressure,
catalyzing effects due to contact with metal vessels and additives. Of the
6.8 mg/liter, 5.8 is contaminant­laden water. If the fluoride ion could be
isolated, per se (again, this is highly unlikely with water fluoridation),
the toxicological characteristics would in no way relate to present water
fluoridation research which is done with a different, pharmaceutical grade
product.

No one has any idea of what reactions will occur under heat and partial
vacuum. All these chemicals including radionuclides and other heavy metals
are in the FSA/SFS. Some of the chemicals used in the process are also
known carcinogens and neurotoxic substances. FSA/SFS is a real "witches
brew." The bottom line is: You cannot mix that many reactive chemicals
together under conditions which inspire reactions and not create a product
unique to any other fluoridation agent produced in another environment.
Possibly many fluorides are created with unique toxicological
characteristics that do not readily dissociate in water as stated by the
EPA/CDC.

Interestingly, all the people who say this product is "safe" have no
concept of how it is produced. They cannot produce one safety study using
either FSA or SFS from the manufacture of phosphoric acid. However, all
responsible Federal agencies say it is safe without any data to back up the
statement (see EPA Fluoride: Regulatory Fact Sheet).

I know what I have shared with you goes against the grain of many dentists
and doctors, and the Federal agencies promoting drinking water
fluoridation. But I was employed in the production of phosphoric acid for
twenty­one years. I worked in about every position and in every aspect of
production from the analytical laboratory to pilot experimental projects,
and my last position was supervising one­third of the Occidental Swift
Creek Chemical Complex. I can assure you the FSA and SFS used to fluoridate
drinking water contains much more than "fluoride" as EPA/CDC would have you
believe.

For every 6,800 gallons of FSA, 5,800 gallons is toxic pollution (cost
effective means to dump pollution). If a study were to be done with the
actual product, I am sure the results would be terrifying: I believe my
coworkers and myself are examples of what clinical research will produce in
animals.

I would ask you to look into this situation, not so much for myself,
because I am aware of what has caused my health problems, but for the
people and the unborn children who will be poisoned from these toxic
products being "dumped" into the water.

I know the fluorosilicic acid and sodium fluorosilicate pollution from
phosphoric acid production can't be good for anyone. My coworkers and
myself are examples of the harmful, toxic effects of these products; we
were exposed to the same pollution that is dumped into much of America's
drinking water as a fluoridation agent.

I respectfully request, for the health and well­being of future generations
of Americans, that the use of fluorosilicic acid and derivatives for
drinking water fluoridation be banned and more stringent environmental
legislation be enacted regarding phosphoric acid production. I feel that it
is your moral obligation to address these issues.

Sincerely,

Gary O. Pittman E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html