And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: "chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Band deserts treaty process
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:08:50 -0400

BANDS GROW WEARY OF TREATY PROCESS

Dene Moore
The Canadian Press
July 13.99

VANCOUVER (CP) - At least one native band has effectively walked away from
the B.C. treaty process and others say they, too, are growing frustrated.

In May, the Musqueam band closed its treaty office because of a dispute with
the federal and provincial governments over compensation. "We may have hit a
deal-breaker here," band manager Archie Patrick said Tuesday.

The band had finished stage three of the six-stage treaty process.

But negotiations fell apart when government negotiators told the band that
financial compensation for lost lands was not on the table, Patrick said.

Unlike other First Nations, there is no nearby Crown land for the urban
Vancouver band to gain in treaty negotiations. Compensation was their main
goal.

"There's still some discussions going on, but. . .the Musqueam have drawn
the line," said Patrick, who hopes the impasse can be worked out.

Government funding for the band's treaty office was discontinued past April
because of the dispute, he said.

While the B.C. Treaty Commission, which oversees negotiations in the
province, in June touted as many as 13 tentative treaties by the end of the
year, the Musqueam are not alone in their frustration.

The Esketemc band, from Alkali Lake near Williams Lake, 550 kilometres
northeast of Vancouver, recently announced it was asserting control over
resources on its claimed territory.

Frustrated with stalled treaty negotiations, the band said logging, mining
and other development won't be allowed on the land without its consent.

"The Esketemc First Nation will continue to take whatever action necessary
to protect our traditional territory," Chief William Chelsea said in a news
release.

Crown land is disappearing and resources are being drained while
negotiations drag on, Chief Stewart Phillip, head of the Union of B.C.
Indian Chiefs, said in a recent interview.

"We're all fed up with government stalling," said Phillip, whose union has
been opposed to the treaty process from the beginning.

Native people have been distracted by prolonged negotiations while the
natural resources on the land they hope to regain disappear, he said.

Because of this the treaty process is falling apart, he said.

Another sticking point is the debt bands are incurring during years of
negotiations.

"Not only are we worried about lands and resources being further alienated,
but we're accruing debt to participate in these negotiations," said Kim
Baird, chief and main negotiator for the Tsawwassen First Nation.

Like others, the Tsawwassen band is borrowing against future compensation to
hire the negotiators, lawyers and experts needed to reach a deal.

The First Nations Summit, which represents bands involved in the treaty
process, warned the commission last year about the growing frustration.

More than $125 million has been borrowed so far from the federal and
provincial governments. Of that money, administered by the B.C. Treaty
Commission, 80 per cent will have to be repaid. The other 20 per cent came
from grants.

Some bands are also using their own money to finance talks.

In June the summit requested an urgent meeting with provincial Aboriginal
Affairs Minister Gordon Wilson and federal counterpart Jane Stewart to
discuss the problems. So far, their request has not been met.

Peter Smith, a spokesman for provincial Aboriginal Affairs, said the
province "recognizes the frustration of the First Nations."

It is a very complex process, he said, and all involved are looking for ways
to make it more efficient and effective.

As for the Musqueam, he said there is no policy to restrict cash
compensation for lands lost.

"We recognize that there is a limited availability of Crown land for
inclusion in an urban treaty, but that doesn't mean you can't negotiate a
treaty," he said.

And the governments are willing to negotiate interim measures to protect
resources "at the appropriate stage of the process."

The Esketemc band was in stage four, negotiating the substantive issues for
an agreement in principle, yet did not have any interim measures.

SOVEREIGNTY IS THE ISSUE: CANADA IS THE PROBLEM

Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html