And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:47:24 -0500
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: The Dawes Commission and much more.

http://www.ancestry.com/
http://shop.ancestry.com/ancestry/newproducts.html
http://shop.ancestry.com/ancestry/dawcom.html

The Dawes Commission

Important New Resource for Native American Research from Ancestry.com

The Dawes Commission And the Allotment of the Five Civilized Tribes
1893-1914 By Kent Carter

Of special interest to researchers of the Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw,
Creek or Seminole Indian Nations

"Well Researched…all encompassing…The historian, the academician, the
sociologist, and the genealogist--all will find it a vital work. --Curt B.
Witcher, MLS, FUGA, Manager, Historical Genealogy Dept. Allen Co. Public
Library

Discover how the U.S. Congress tried to end self-government for five major
American Indian tribes and assimilate them into the dominant culture.
Regarded by some as a human tragedy, The Dawes Commission is one of the
most highly controversial subjects involving US government treatment of
Native Americans. From 1893 to 1914, the program provided an allotment of
land to each Indian that enrolled. Yet of the 300,000 people who applied
for enrollment, almost two thirds were rejected. Why? The answer to that
golden question has eluded scholars for nearly a century. This important
work takes major strides in unraveling the mystery.

Ken Carter's thorough research of the Dawes Commission delves into its
organization and procedures to clarify enrollment and allotment decisions
for the thousands of people who applied. It points out the difficulties
Congress had in implementing its plan and the disastrous effects the
program had on the people it was designed to help.

Rich in historical photographs, thoroughly footnoted, and containing actual
documents of the commission's records, the book will provide anyone with
interest in the Dawes Commission, or of Native American ancestry, a
heightened understanding of the Dawes Commission and the Five Civilized
Tribes. Includes a list of tribal rolls from the Dawes Commission records.

"Incredible…[Ken Carter's] work is now part of the Cherokee Nation's
permanent record… When people ask me for a special reference to the history
and culture of the Cherokee Nation, this work is first on my list." --Dr.
Charles Gourd, Chairman of the Constitution Convention Committee, Cherokee
Nation

THE DAWES COMMISSION 284 pages paperback 8.5 x 11

Retail price $29.95 Our price just $26.95<Picture>
Here at Ancestry.com's Online Store we guarantee customer service like your
great-grandfather was used to.

(c)Copyright 1999, Ancestry.com Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html