And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
forwarded for informational purposes only...contents have not been verified..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 06:19:42 EDT
Subject: Indian Actor Silverheels Honored
Indian Actor Silverheels Honored
.c The Associated Press

  BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Jay Silverheels, the Lone Ranger's poker-faced sidekick
``Tonto,'' has been inducted into the Western New York Entertainment Hall of Fame.

The late American Indian performer from Ontario's Six Nations Reserve went to
Hollywood in 1933 by way of Buffalo, where he had been an Eastern State Golden Gloves
boxing champion and runner-up for the national title.

Silverheels was a far different man than the character he portrayed in the 1950s
television series, family members said.

``My greatest pride is the fact that he played the role of Tonto very well - because
he wasn't the type of person who would be subservient to anyone unless the script
called for it,'' an uncle, Leslie Smith of Fort Erie, Ontario, told guests at
Thursday's induction ceremony.

AP-NY-08-07-99 0619EDT

  Copyright 1999 The Associated Press.  The information  contained in the AP news
report may not be published,  broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without
prior written authority of The Associated Press.