And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:34:02 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Manitoba: flooded reserves Indian Affairs sues

Friday, August 13, 1999
     Feds sue for flood $
           By NADIA MOHARIB, STAFF REPORTER Winnipeg Sun

Indian Affairs is taking the Manitoba government to court over $10 million Ottawa paid
in flooding costs. But the feds would be happy with an out-of-court settlement and
long-term agreement for floodproofing three native reserves.  A statement of claim
filed in Court of Queen's Bench states a dam built on the Assiniboine River west of
Portage la Prairie by the province caused the Fairford dam to flood at Fairford,
Little Saskatchewan and Lake St. Martin First Nations.

Ottawa put up funds -- intended as a temporary measure -- to cover damage in three of
the past four years, he said. The provincially owned Fairford dam was built in 1961 to
protect farms from seasonal flooding.  "This should come as no surprise," said Martin
Egan, Indian and Northern Affairs (Manitoba region) director of lands and trust
services. "We've been trying to resolve this situation. We felt (suing) was a last
resort to protect our options legally and get a  long-term solution."  The province
was warned of the court battle in a letter from the feds in May, but didn't respond
until July 30, Egan said yesterday.  Egan hasn't ruled out an out-of-court settlement.
 "We hope we are not going to get into a long, protracted court fight. We want to sit
down at the table and do what needs to be done to ensure these communities aren't in
emergency-response mode each spring." The province declined comment.

               "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
                A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                     1957 G.H. Estabrooks
                 www.angelfire.com/mn/mcap/bc.html