And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Subject: UN Press Release: "OTHER TOPICS" = INDIGENOUS PEOPLES
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:19:18 -1000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

recommended that the Coordinator for the Decade consider holding a
special fund-raising meeting with interested permanent missions and the
members of the Advisory Group to encourage financial contributions to
the Voluntary Fund for the Decade and the United Nations Voluntary Fund
for Indigenous Populations, as well as the appointment of qualified
staff, including indigenous persons, from within the regular budget of
the United Nations to assist with the work of the Office of the United
Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights relating to the indigenous
programs;

urged Governments and intergovernmental and non-governmental
organizations and individuals to contribute to the Voluntary Fund for
the Decade established by the Secretary-General, and invited indigenous
organizations to do likewise; recommended that attention continue to be
given to improving the extent of the participation of indigenous
peoples in planning and implementing the activities of the Decade;

strongly recommended that in accordance with General Assembly
resolution 50/157 of 21 December 1995, the draft United Nations
declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples be adopted as early as
possible, and not later than the end of the International Decade in
2004 and, to this end, appealed to the members of the inter-sessional
working group of the Commission on Human Rights and to all others
concerned to consider ways and means to accelerate the preparation of
the draft declaration;

recommended that a permanent forum for indigenous people within the
United Nations system be established as soon as possible in the course
of the Decade with functions that did not duplicate those already
conferred on the Working Group on Indigenous Populations, financed
through the regular budget of the United Nations and securing full
participation of all interested indigenous peoples;

endorsed the view expressed by many indigenous participants during the
seventeenth session of the Working Group on Indigenous Populations that
the establishment of the permanent forum should not be understood as a
justification for the abolition of the Working Group, which should
continue to carry out the ample, flexible mandate conferred upon it by
the Economic and Social Council in resolution 1982/34 of 7 May 1982;

encouraged the High Commissioner for Human Rights to consider
organizing a follow-up workshop to put into practice the
recommendations arising from the Workshop; invited the High
Commissioner for Human Rights to consider, as soon as possible, ways
and means by which she might support the World Indigenous Nations (WIN)
Games;

recommended that the High Commissioner, in consultation with interested
Governments, organize meetings and other activities within the
framework of the International Decade in Africa and Asia in order,
inter alia, to raise public awareness about indigenous issues in those
regions;

also recommended that the High Commissioner organize a workshop, in
collaboration with the United Nations Conference on Trade and
Development, relevant organizations, on indigenous peoples, private
sector natural resource, energy and mining companies and human rights
in order to contribute to the ongoing work of the Working methods and
activities of transnational corporations;

invited the Commission on Human Rights to consider organizing a world
conference on indigenous issues during the last year of the
International Decade of the World's Indigenous People (2004) with a
view to evaluating the Decade and considering future international
policies and programmes which will contribute to the reconciliation of
Governments with indigenous peoples.

JOSE BENGOA, Subcommission Expert, said there were concerns, and
corrections could be made to improve the text in certain ways.
Nevertheless, he would join consensus. It would be a grave error to set
up the permanent forum without adopting the declaration on the rights
of indigenous peoples. If the General Assembly did not adopt the
declaration, the permanent forum would not be able to distinguish
itself from the Working Group, since it would not have a legal
framework in which to function. This was a topic that could be
discussed in much greater detail, and should be. The other topics dealt
with in the document were entirely correct.

In a resolution (E/CN.4/Sub.2/1999/L.31) on the human rights of
indigenous peoples, adopted by consensus, the Subcommission requested
that the Secretary-General transmit the report of the Working Group on
Indigenous Populations on its seventeenth session to the United Nations
High Commissioner for Human Rights, indigenous organizations,
Governments and intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations
concerned, as well to all thematic rapporteurs, special
representatives, independent experts and working groups;

requested that the report on the Working Group be made available to the
Commission on Human Rights at its fifty-sixth session; recommended that
the Working Group cooperate as a body of experts in any conceptual
clarifications or analysis which might assist the open-ended
inter-sessional working group established by the Commission on Human
Rights in its resolution 1995/32 of 3 March 1995 to elaborate further
the draft United Nations declaration on the rights of indigenous
peoples;

recommended that the Working Group at its eighteenth session adopt as
the principal theme 'Indigenous children and youth' and that the Office
of the High Commissioner for Human Rights invite the United Nations
Children's Fund and the Committee on the Rights of the Child to provide
relevant information and, if possible, participate in the meetings of
the Working Group, and that the Working Group continue to address, on a
yearly basis, the issue of indigenous peoples' right to their lands and
their resources;

requested that the Commission on Human Rights to invite Governments,
intergovernmental organizations and indigenous and non-governmental
organizations to provide information and data, in particular on the
principal theme, to the Working Group at its eighteenth session;

requested that the High Commissioner for Human Rights, in consultation
with interested Governments, make efforts to organize meetings on Asia
and Latin America, to provide a greater opportunity for participation
of peoples from these regions and to raise public awareness about
indigenous peoples;

requested the High commissioner to encourage studies with respect to
the right to food and adequate nutrition of indigenous peoples and
indigenous peoples and poverty, stress the linkage between their
present general situation and their land rights, and to develop further
cooperation with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United
Nations and the World Food Programme on indigenous issues;

recommended that a working paper be prepared by the
Chairperson-Rapporteur on indigenous peoples and racism and racial
discrimination for consideration at the preparatory meetings for the
World Conference against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and
Related Intolerance;

requested that Miguel Alfonso-Martinez submit to the Working Group at
its eighteenth session a working paper on possible principles and
guidelines for private sector energy and mining concerns that may
affect indigenous lands, as referred to in the Sub-Commission
resolution 1998/23; recommended that the Chairperson-Rapporteur or any
other member of the working group should be invited to take part in the
preparatory meetings for the World Conference and in the World
Conference itself;

requested that the Chairperson-Rapporteur or other member of the
Working Group inform the Board of Trustees of the United Nations
Voluntary Fund for Indigenous Populations that the Working Group at its
eighteenth session will highlight the principal theme 'Indigenous
children and youth' so that the Board can bear this in mind when it
meets for its thirteenth session; recommended the appointment by the
Commission on Human Rights of a Special Rapporteur on indigenous issues
to request and receive information from Governments, indigenous
peoples, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations relating
to the recognition, promotion and protection of the human rights of
indigenous peoples;

appealed to all Governments, organizations, including non-governmental
organizations and indigenous groups, and individuals in a position to
do so, to consider contributing to the United Nations Voluntary Fund
for Indigenous Populations in order to assist representatives of
indigenous communities and organizations to participate in the
deliberations of the Working Group on Indigenous Populations, the
open-ended inter-sessional working group on the draft United Nations
declaration of the rights of indigenous people and the open-ended
inter-sessional ad hoc working group on a permanent forum;

requested the Secretary-General to prepare an annotated agenda for the
18th session of the Working Group; requested the Commission on Human
Rights to request the Economic and Social Council to authorize the
Working Group to meet for eight working days prior to the 52nd session
of the Subcommission; and recommended to the Commission on Human Rights
a draft decision to this effect.

In a resolution (E/CN.4/Sub.2/1999/L.32)on, a working paper on
indigenous peoples and their relationship to land, adopted without a
vote, the Subcommission expressed its deep appreciation and thanks to
the Special Rapporteur for her substantive and important introductive
statement and constructive second progress report on the working paper
on indigenous peoples and their relationship to land;

requested the Secretary-General to transmit as soon as possible the
second progress report on the working paper on indigenous peoples and
their relationship to land to Governments, indigenous peoples and
intergovernmental and non-governmental organisations for their
comments, data and suggestions; requested the Special Rapporteur to
submit her final working paper on the basis of the comments and
information received from Governments, indigenous peoples and others
and to submit it to the Working Group on Indigenous Populations at its
eighteenth session and to the Subcommission for consideration at its
fifty-second session;

requested the Secretary-General to provide the Special Rapporteur with
all the assistance necessary for her to complete her task; recommended
the following draft decision to the Commission on Human Rights for
ratification, in which it approved the Subcommission's request to the
Secretary-General to transmit as soon as possible the second progress
report on the working paper on indigenous peoples and their
relationship to land (E/CN.4/Sub.2/1999/18) to Governments, indigenous
peoples and inter-governmental and non-governmental organisations for
their comments, data and suggestions, and to provide the Special
Rapporteur with all the assistance necessary to enable her to submit
her final working paper to the Working Group on Indigenous Populations
at its eighteenth session and to the Commission at its fifty-second
session.

In a consensus resolution (E/CN.4/Sub.2/1999/L.33) on the final report
of the study on treaties, agreements and other constructive
arrangements between States and indigenous populations, adopted without
a vote, the Subcommission endorsed the conclusions and recommendations
contained in chapter IV of the final report; took note of the critical
remarks and observations advanced by a number of organizations and
individuals participating in those debates on the Special Rapporteur's
considerations, contained in paragraphs 67 to 2 of the final report, on
the relevance of the concept of indigenousness, in the particular
context of present-day African, Asian and Pacific States; extended its
recognition to the Special Rapporteur for having thoroughly fulfilled
his mandate after 10 years of intense work under conditions which were
not always the most propitious for accomplishing the task entrusted to
him;

requested the Special Rapporteur to submit to the Secretariat, not
later than 15 November 1999, the corrections and additions he
considered it necessary to make to the English, Spanish and French
versions of his final report, including the addenda referred to in
paragraph 130 of the report of the Working Group on Indigenous
Populations on its 17th session;

also requested the Special Rapporteur to present formally, in person,
to the Commission on Human Rights, at its 56th session, the revised
version of his final report;

requested the High Commissioner for Human Rights to organize, not later
than June 2000, a seminar on treaties, agreements and other legal
instruments between indigenous peoples and States to discuss possible
follow-up to the study just completed by Mr. Alfonso Martinez and
explore ways and means to implement the recommendations included in his
final report;

requested the Secretary-General to transmit, as soon as possible, the
final report to Governments, indigenous peoples and organizations, as
well as to intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations in
order to ensure its widest possible dissemination;

requested the Working Group on Indigenous Populations to remain seized
of the important issue of indigenous treaties and agreements and the
rights deriving therefrom during its annual sessions during the rest of
the International Decade of the World's Indigenous People.
</bigger></fontfamily>

Hawaii International Resource Site

Treaties, Conventions & Agreements "Study Series on the Question of
Hawaii

http://www.hookele.com/hawaii/links.html

                  The Power of Peace

        Survive & Resist Genocide - We Want Peace

            GLOBAL INDIGENOUS MEDIA IN ACTION

           http://www.hookele.com/netwarriors

             Peace without Truth is Genocide

           Una Paz sin la  Verdad es Genocidio