And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:09:51 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OHSWEKEN POW WOW a success

POWWOW IS A ROLLOVER SUCCESS
Brantford Expositor  9/13/99
                      By ELIZABETH MEEN, Expositor Staff

OHSWEKEN -- The Six Nations fair, powwow and stampede attracted more than 5,000 people
on the weekend -- but only one had an appetite for the "rollover derby," a first-time
feature of the Ohsweken exhibition. That left a clear field for 51-year-old Bill
Jacobs of Second Line, as he gamely gunned his 1980-vintage Hyundai Pony on a special
ramp and rolled it for $300. "We only had one entrant and, boy, did he roll. He's a
racer at our local track," said Blayne Martin.  Jacobs also drove his battered Hyundai
in the figure-eight and, again, cleaned up with a $200 second prize. His prize money
probably exceeded the Hyundi's book-value, Martin said. "It's a fun event," Martin
said of the rollover derby. "It's new and it's being featured at a lot of fairs now.
Hopefully people got to see it this year and a few more are coming back (to enter)
next year."

Late Saturday, there was an unintentional rollover in the figure-eight race when Al
VanEvery spun, rolled his car on its side and sustained the only known casualty of the
weekend -- one broken finger nail. Martin says the figure-eight event is only a few
years old as a feature of the 132-year Six Nations fall fair and it is always a big
crowd-pleaser. This year, six vehicles raced to complete laps in a double circuit
while trying not to collide in the intersection of the loops. Vehicles in roll-over
and demolition events are inspected to ensure a sound frame. They have no glass to
shatter.  While there weren't a lot of willing rollers, the grand stand was packed
with spectators for the car events, the classic heavy horse show and the popular
rodeo, now in its second year. Rodeo events included bull riding, chuckwagon racing,
chariot racing and muttin busting.

Miss Six Nations, Courtney Thomas, was on hand, and judges crowned the top-rated
babies, tots, and teens, in various categories. Dozens of merchants welcomed potential
customers at the home show in the Six Nations Cultural Memorial Centre. Food and
clothing vendors did brisk business in outdoor stands. Through the weekend a crowd
encircled native dancers at two powwows, always the main attraction of the fair, said
organizer Glenda Porter. "I heard of people from Holland and B.C. yesterday. Many
visitors never had a chance to see a powwow, and they come to see the dancers. We have
a lot of calls from Toronto, Hamilton and even further afield." Beautiful weather
guaranteed at least as many visitors as last year, between 5,000 and 7,000, she said.
Porter is president of the Six Nations Agricultural Society, which hosts the fair on
the strength of more than 70 volunteers. In the next few weeks, she'll hold an
appreciation dinner for the hard workers. "Then we'll start all over aga!
!
in f
or next year." She hopes to make the millennium celebration something special, she
said. Rodeo and horse-show winners' names were not available at press time, and will
follow on the community page in the Expositor. Winners of other races, the pageant and
baby contest include:

Chuckwagon races: Blayne Martin

Rollover derby: Bill Jacobs,

Figure 8 demolition race: Becky Emberson

               "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
                A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                     1957 G.H. Estabrooks
                 www.angelfire.com/mn/mcap/bc.html