And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:08:03 -0400
From: Peter d'Errico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fwd: Protect the Sami people - please copy, sign, and forward.

>Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:59:27 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Jason Spaulding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Protect the Sami people - please copy, sign, and forward.
>

>Forwarded from Aanta:

Dear friends Could you / your organisation please sign this petition and return it to
us either by mail or fax (+47 776  11 069).  It would also have been nice if you could
send it to other organisations that work with peace, human rights, indigenous peoples
rights and environmental issues. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask by
mail.

>Thanks,
>Kristian Egil Torheim
>Friend of The Earth Norway
>return e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>STOP  "MAUKEN-BLAATIND"
The military field "Mauken-Blaatind" in Troms County, Norway, was passed by the
Norwegian parliament on 8 April 1997. The military field will destroy the pastures of
the reindeer-herding Samis in the entire area. This will not only take away the
livelihood from the people in the 11 reindeer-herding units in the area, but in effect
take away the material foundation of the Indigenous culture from the entire
Mauken-Blaatind region.

"Mauken-Blaatind" will be a bigger intrusion in Sami areas than the catastrophic
building of the Alta-dam in 1981. The reindeer-herding Samis in the area will take the
case to International courts, but the ministry of Defence has proclaimed that they
will not wait for the court's decision. If they don't, a victory in court will be
useless.

Establishing Mauken-Blaatind is against the 169. ILO-convention of 1989, and the 27.
article in the "UN-convention on civil and political rights" of 1966. According to
these international laws, one can't destroy the natural resources of indigenous
peoples.

Norway was the first country to ratify ILO-169 convention. This gives Norway a special
responsibility of respecting the rights of Indigenous Peoples.
>============================ cut and paste here ==========
* We demand that the Norwegian government must respect indigenous peoples' rights and
stop the establishment of the military field Mauken-Blaatind. We demand that the
Norwegian government must respect indigenous peoples' rights and stop the
establishment of the military field Mauken-Blaatind.

Your name here.

E-mail the thingie to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* We demand that the Norwegian government must respect indigenous peoples' rights and
stop the establishment of the military field Mauken-Blaatind. We demand that the
Norwegian government must respect indigenous peoples' rights and stop the
establishment of the military field Mauken-Blaatind.

Jason Spaulding Rough & Ready, CA, USA