Remembering missing women
By DeLynda Pilon - Prince George Free Press
Published: August 18, 2013 5:00 AM

http://www.pgfreepress.com/news/219826711.html

The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights spent three days in Prince George
last week talking to families of missing and murdered women, bringing more
international attention to an issue that has been of concern for a long time,
especially among the Aboriginal population, and highlighted recently by the
Human Rights Commission which issued a report breaking down many of the
barriers facing indigenous women in northern B.C.

Mavis Erickson, the Carrier Sekani Tribal Council's Women's Advocate, said she
was happy to agree to the visit and help set it up.

She added there was a lot of hope issues concerning Aboriginal women and their
vulnerability would be addressed when the Oppal Commission was struck; however
it seemed to primarily focus on the Pickton case, adding northern B.C., with
its infamous Highway of Tears cases, as an afterthought, then making it
difficult to impossible for many organizations that advocate for northern
B.C.'s Aboriginal women to participate. Considering it offered no funding
opportunities for them to attend the inquiry.

Now, she added, the hope is there will be a national inquiry.

"I participated in the Human Rights Watch investigation and helped in
coordinating that," Erickson said. "I felt really strongly for women when the
Oppal commission came along. A lot of organizations weren't able to get
representation for the Oppal commission. It was really kind of a backhanded
slap to people in the north."

She added she thought investigations by international organizations might be a
way of achieving what families in the north wanted.

The Human Rights Watch gathered information and issued a report on various
aspects of the issues Aboriginal woman face in northern B.C. Most recently the
Inter American Commission on Human Rights expressed an interest at looking into
local human rights violations concerning Aboriginal women, talking with
families of the missing and murdered, and Erickson jumped at the chance to make
that happen.

"I immediately got in touch with the Inter American Commission through the
Native Women's Association," she said. "They wanted to come after reading the
Amnesty International report, Sisters in Spirit."

She added the missing and murdered Aboriginal women in the province were
numbered at 136 then, and a follow-up report puts the number at 180 in B.C.

"Women are going missing and murdered in B.C. like nowhere else in the country.
The government doesn't seem concerned and doesn't seem to have a plan, so it
continues unchecked," Erickson said. "I think that the international
organization bring new eyes to the problem. The problem a Canadian commission
would have is that the sexism and racism is so deeply ingrained, people don't
even recognize it in themselves.

"I think indigenous women in Canada are despised and hated.

As an example she talks about her niece taking a fall in Fort St. James, badly
hurting her knees. Before the RCMP would help her, they made her take a
Breathalyzer test.

"Racism is just so commonplace, I think we normalized it," she said. "And when
someone goes missing we never thought to go to the RCMP because they never
really helped before. They were the ones who took us away (to residential
schools)."

Barbara Morin, president of the B.C. Native Women's Association, agrees. She
said they were supposed to be a part of the Oppal commission, but weren't able
to attend, even to give evidence. Now they are calling for a national inquiry
as well.

"A data base was started a number of years ago counting the number of missing
and murdered Aboriginal women in Canada. They got to 600, then had to stop due
to a lack of funding," she said. "Most of the cases were in western provinces.
Nearly half of the cases are unsolved, and we get more reported cases in
different provinces on a daily basis."

When the data stopped coming in, the association called for a national inquiry.
At first there was resistance, but when provincial premiers met in July, they
also supported the idea.

"The cost of violence in Canada is extremely high," Morin said. "Every time we
have to address a spousal violence report, it costs the taxpayer money. We have
to find ways to reduce violence against women. Aboriginal women are five times
more likely to experience violence than the national average. The root cause of
violence is racism and poverty, and if the woman lives in a remote community,
there is no such thing as an emergency shelter.

"We have to ask if police proceed in a manner that gets a case of spousal
violence to court. Right now women are scared to talk, they are scared to lose
their kids.

"A national inquiry would get to the root of what needs to be done in every
community."

She said the police need cultural training as well as a historical background
of Aboriginal people.

"They need to know how to deal with them," she said. "There is a general lack
of access to justice for Aboriginal people. It's quite different for them."

She added there is a need for family programs to address intergenerational
problems, many of which are rooted in the residential school system.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: