Fortune Minerals 'served eviction notice' by Tahltan Elders
Michael Allan McCrae | August 17, 2013
http://www.mining.com/fortune-minerals-served-eviction-notice-by-tahltan-elders-74133/

>From YouTube

Junior miner Fortune Minerals (TSE:FT) was served a "24 hour eviction notice"
on Thursday by Tahltan Central Council  who are opposed to an open pit coal
mine in northwestern British Columbia.

The TCC claims the area is an important hunting ground and near ancestral
burial grounds. The protesters have set up a camp near the proposed mine.

Video of the protest was uploaded to YouTube.

After the eviction notice expires, the protesters are considering a blockade.

"We didn't fight Shell for ten years so a coal company could come along and
build an open pit mine in the heart of the Sacred Headwaters," said Mary
Dennis, a Tahltan elder in a news release from Skeena Watershed Coalition.

"We've stopped bigger industrial projects before and we'll do it again with
help from our supporters and allies."

>From YouTube

The Arctos Anthracite project is located adjacent to the Spatsizi wilderness
area. The project is a joint venture between Fortune (80%) and Posco Canada
Ltd. (20%), a subsidiary of Korea's POSCO that is one of the world's largest
steel producers. The project is just 330 km northeast of the Pacific Ocean Port
of Prince Rupert.

The project is in the Environmental Assessment ("EA") and permitting process.

In its community relations section of its website, the company says it has
retained DPRA Canada Inc., Indigeunity Consulting Group Inc., and Fleishman-
Hillard ". . . for their respective expertise in aboriginal engagement and
government communication, respectively. Fortune has also hired community
relations coordinators for the portion of the project in the Gitxsan and
Tahltan territories."

The TCC is the Tahltan Nation governing body representing the collective
aboriginal title and rights interests of Tahltan peoples.

>From YouTube

>From YouTube

>From YouTube

<*> Your email settings: