From: Gustaf Neumann <neum...@wu.ac.at>
Sent: Saturday 30 September 2023 11:08 am
To: naviserver-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
<naviserver-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [naviserver-devel] "connection already closed" vs "connection
socket is detached" and the "rejectalreadyclosedconn" parameter

Hi Brian,

The parameter "rejectalreadyclosedconn" does what it is supposed to do
(controls error messages, when someone tries to write to a connection,
which was already closed). The parameter was introduced at a time,
before the distinction between closed and detached connections was
introduced in the code. So, I read your request to extend the meaning of
the parameter to cover detached connections as well.

 > Have I misunderstood something or is this not possible?

There is no hard reason rendering this as impossible. One could either
introduce (a) another parameter "rejectalreadydetachedconn" or (b) make
"rejectalreadyclosedconn" slightly misleading from the name to cover as
well the detached cases.

Since the parameter is just for legacy applications, which did not care
about the semantics, when someone tries to write to a connection which
is not available anymore (leading to potentially complex debugging
questions), the updated code [1] follows the (b) approach. I see the
potential misuse of the parameter to encourage lazy coding practices,
but i do understand as well code-maintainers who see large amounts of
errors in their log files on busy sites, not having the resources right
now to address these...

-gn

[1]
https://bitbucket.org/naviserver/naviserver/commits/725cf9475fe78f495918ed4549bf434cf2daaf96