I know the feeling. Things can spiral out of control.
Many years ago I came into some similar red 8x8 LED bricks for a price that seemed too good to be true. Yup, it was. They were very very dim.
You can read about the TV set they ended up in, SatanVision, here.
These projects need to be built, if only to teach their builders a lesson.

David Forbes, Tucson AZ