Here's the current status as of April 16, 2024. The test display has been
running for a few weeks now at low intensity, using my waveform generator
(1kHz) and a reverse-wired power transformer. I'm not noticing any
degradation of intensity yet.

The inverter design has stalled for a bit while I wrap-up another clock
(uses IEE projection-type displays). SPICE simulations of the inverter are
showing a lot of ringing, which has been a challenge to get rid of, and
there is a mysterious asymmetry into the transformer. This is causing
imbalance, and that results in a net DC current, which is not only wasteful
but also will cause saturation of the transformer. I'm also trending to use
a triangular waveform, rather than sinusoidal, because it results in
constant current (well, at least theoretically...) for the display.

Opto triacs are easier to use than regular ones, so I expect to go with
those and drive them from a serial chain of shift registers. I standardized
a serial link for my projects using 10-conductor ribbon cable, using the
same signals/levels as used by the HV5532 (and similar) drivers. Each
IEL-0-IV display is 8 segments, so 48 bits will control a 6-character
display via direct-drive. I wont use, or attempt to use, multiplexing.
Adding more characters is as simple as adding more serial devices. Right
now I think I will have 2 displays per board; keeping the PCBs less than
100mm/side (4 inches) keeps the price way down at PCBWay. A run of 10
boards is around 14 USD ($5 total for the 10 boards, $9 for shipping).

As far as controlling the serial link, I use a Raspberry Pi Zero W. I'm
sure any controller will work as long as you use a level-shifter for the
serial interface.