> On May 7, 2024, at 9:55 PM, Zachary <zacharylaurin2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes that does in fact confuse me even more.

I must be psychic.

> However I looked at the component list from the source of the image you sent
> ("M. Moores' Nixie Thermometer Kit") and he does use 1/4W resistors and not
> >1W like the Russian datasheet indicates so that's good.

I have the thermometer. It's designed to only travel halfway up the IN-13.
Seeing as how 140V x 4.5mA = 0.63W, perhaps Mike's playing it safe with the
current. Or it may play nicer with "bad" ones.

> I'm not sure what I need for Q2 however. Should I use a second MJD340 (which
> is the SMD version of the MJE340 I've seen on many existing design) or any
> transistor will do? Or do I need it at all? Many designs don't include it for
> some reason.

Mike seems to be a fan of discrete circuits so there must be some magic going
on here. You should ask him.

> My understanding is that it's there for because of this from the Russian
> datasheet:
> > "To avoid braking the light column when switching abruptly, we recommend:
> > When switching on, the main cathode should not be on, and there should only
> > be current on the auxiliary cathode."

I'm not sure that I've ever seen it actually done that way.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com

"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of
them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for
science intact."—Carl Sagan, Psychology Today, 1996