Hello coders!

I'm using several Debian GNU/Linux boxes with

  Debian Etch (testing)
  linux kernel 2.6.12
  snmpd        5.2.1.2
  mrtg         2.12.2

The internet connection is via dsl PPP, sometimes the link
disconnect and then reconnect automatically. We also have some
OpenVPN tunnels that sometimes disconnect/reconnect.

This unfortunately leave snmpd whith a bad idea of interfaces
available on the system:

  # snmpwalk -c public -v1 127.0.0.1 | grep ifName
  IF-MIB::ifName.1 = STRING: lo
  IF-MIB::ifName.2 = STRING: eth0
  IF-MIB::ifName.3 = STRING: eth1
  IF-MIB::ifName.4 = STRING: ppp0
  IF-MIB::ifName.5 = STRING: tun1
  IF-MIB::ifName.8 = STRING: tun2
  IF-MIB::ifName.9 = STRING: ppp0
  IF-MIB::ifName.10 = STRING: ppp0
  IF-MIB::ifName.11 = STRING: ppp0
  IF-MIB::ifName.12 = STRING: tun2

This breaks MRTG, which remains stuck on the interface not longer
existing. This is also seems to be the cause of the error
messages that I find in the syslog:

  snmpd[3837]: netsnmp_assert index == tmp failed
    if-mib/data_access/interface_common.c:407
    _access_interface_entry_save_name()

To solve the problem I have to restart snmpd.

I seen a similar report in net-snmp-users and a bug report
(#1238981), but without follow-up.

Is this a bug or a feature?

With the old Debian (snmpd 4.2.3) this problem did not exist.

Thank you.

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy