Can you describe the socket method a bit more? I have tested to implement it with these calls, but that will increase the counters:

snmp_sess_init( &session );
session.peername = "127.0.0.1";
SOCK_STARTUP;
ss = snmp_open(&session);
snmp_synch_response(ss, pdu, &response);
snmp_close(ss);
SOCK_CLEANUP;

/Gustav