Hi,

I'm running Fedora Core 4 with net-snmp-5.2.1.2 and am having trouble updating my system to net-snmp-*  v5.3 using yum and the "fc4" rpm files found on the net-snmp download site at sourceforge.net.  Has anyone else running FC4 been able to successfully update all the net-snmp packages ?

First of all, I'm not sure why the filenaming convention is different on sourceforge.net than it is on the FC4 update repositories.  The packages installed on my system are:
    net-snmp
    net-snmp-utils
    net-snmp-perl

On sourceforge.net (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/download/)  the files listed don't correspond directly to these packages.  Is it not true that the rpm filename is supposed to match the package name, version & architecture of the target system?

Ignoring the filename mismatch, I downloaded the following two rpm files:
    net-snmp-5.3-1.fc4.i686.rpm
    net-snmp-perlmods-5.3-1.fc4.i686.rpm

First used "yum localupdate" on the net-snmp file... It failed with the following error:
    Package net-snmp-5.3-1.fc4.i686.rpm is not signed
This doesn't look like the kind of error where I'm missing the key, but maybe it is.  In any case, I modified the /etc/yum.conf to bypass the gpg check, and this time the package installed ok.

However, the I'm unable to install the net-perl-perlmods files because of the following error:
    Cannot open file: net-snmp-perlmods-5.3-1.fc4.i686.rpm. Skipping.

I also tried removing all of the installed v5.2.1.2 net-snmp-* packages and retrying with "yum localinstall", but got the same error.  I can't seem to get beyond this point.

Has anyone had success with this yet?  I could just download the source and install locally without involving yum or any package managers, but I'd rather understand what's going on here.  Package managers always seem to be great when everything works smoothly, but frustratingly difficult when there's the smallest problem (in my experience anyway).

Thanks!
-- Brad