Hello,

I set up snmpv3 to use /home/user/.snmp/snmp.conf. My snmpd.conf is located  in
/test/dir1/. There is the original /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file too.

The initial setup is for MD5/DES. I want to switch to SHA/AES. The steps to
change are:

  1.  service snmpd stop
  2.  modify /user/.snmp/snmp.conf to use SHA/AES
  3.  run create user to use SHA/AES
  4.  service snmpd start ( it uses /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf)

This works - I can run "snmpwalk localhost"  and the system switched to SHA/AES.

When in step 5 I start snmpd with MY OWN snmpd.conf from  /test/dir1/ such as
"/usr/sbin/snmpd -c /test/dir1/snmpd.conf" , snmpwalk fails.
When I revert back to MD5/DES, snmpwalk starts working again. As if it never
switched to SHA/AES even though /var/lib/net-snmp/snmpd.conf contains correct
SHA/AES OIDs and the user name.

So, why does snmpwalk fail when I use my own snmpd.conf, which is in some other
directory?

Thank you,

Vlad