Hello, I'm using net-snmp 5.8 with version 3 support. I've noticed that agents can authenticate messages with passwords by pattern only. What I mean is, for example, if I create the user with password "aaaaaaaaaaaa" (12 a's), that agent authenticates with password "aaaaaaaa" (8 a's). I've tried it with Linux OS (OpenWRT and Ubuntu).

Here is how I create a sample SNMP server: /usr/sbin/snmpd -Lo -f -d -q -Cc /snmpd.conf --noPersistentSave=1 --noPersistentLoad=1
My "snmpd.conf" file looks like this:

agentaddress udp:161
sysLocation location
sysContact em...@example.com
sysName name
exec  filedescriptors /bin/cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
createUser agurkas MD5 "abcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabcabc"
rouser agurkas auth
dlmod chilli /usr/lib/snmpd-mod/chilli.so
dlmod device /usr/lib/snmpd-mod/device.so
dlmod gps /usr/lib/snmpd-mod/gps.so
dlmod gsm /usr/lib/snmpd-mod/gsm.so
dlmod traps /usr/lib/snmpd-mod/traps.so

And authentication is succesful if I try "snmpwalk" command from other endpoint:

snmpwalk -d -v3 -l authNoPriv -u agurkas -a MD5 -A abcabcabc 192.168.1.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.48690.1.2

This time the pattern is "abc", and it does not matter how many times you repeat "abc", as long as it meets minimum password length. Did not find any information online about this problem, maybe some configurations are wrong?

--
Pagarbiai,
Linux programuotojas,