bob catchpole wrote:
> Rob Myers wrote:
>
>  > Registration only affects damages where copyright is infringed.
>
> So if someone uses your work without permission and you haven't
> registered you're not entitled to damages. ONLY in the States.

It is possible to register afterwards and claim damages on the basis of
that but I believe this has issues.

> Why not
> come into line with the rest of the world?

Automatic possession of copyright *is* in line with the rest of the world.

> Just get rid of the need (and
> expense, $30 a time) to register.

You can register copyrights in the UK. Establishing the date of
publication can be useful.

> Currently many working photographers in America are compelled to do the
> same as Seth Resnick: "Every image that I shoot is registered before it
> ever leaves my office."  To us outside the States this seems ludicrous -
> time-consuming, expensive and a perversion of an automatic universal
> right. And in the Land of the Free!...
>
>  > The purpose behind the “visual registries” provisions is to help
> artists keep
>  > ownership information associated with their works...
>
> To help artists? Artists are automatically owners of their work. Nowhere
> else do they need to register the fact.

Artists receive copyright on completion of the work in the US the same
as everywhere else, and this copyright allows them to prevent other
people from copying their work (and thereby profiting from it) the same
as everywhere else.

Orphan works *are* a genuine problem for society that need tackling,
even if the current bill is not perfect. The bill can be improved, and
Public Knowledge have suggestions for this.

The bill is not pro-corporate. Currently only big corporations can
afford the risk of publishing old work with unknown copyright status.
Damages could wipe out an individual or a smaller organization. The
Orphan Works bill ensures that everyone still pays damages, but that
they do so fairly.

The registry system is optional and is designed to build on services
like DACS (I forget the US equivalent) that enforce copyrights and fees
under the current system. Most professional artists and designers
already belong to such a scheme.

- Rob.