On Thu, 2006-06-04 at 16:19 +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> jamal wrote:

> > This is much better than your old proposal Patrick and i have no
> > problem with it. Why you would need tcf_act_common
> > if you are going to have those elements in tc_action_ops?
> > So go ahead and submit the patches or you could pass the token to me and
> > i will (so we avoid redundancy).
>
> It is actually exactly what I've always proposed. tcf_act_common
> is the single action itself, tc_action_ops only includes pointers
> to the hash table and the private lock.

I may have misunderstood you then or misunderstand you now. Let me be
explicit:
I like "augmentation" (which i thought i am hearing you say now and
which keeps things things in the same scheme of thought) not
"indirection". In other words, what i thought i understood you say
now is (since i am in the mood for ascii diagrams):

   tc_action_ops

        +-- action methods here etc

        ..
        ..
        +--sizeof hash table

        +--table row lock

        +--pointer to hash

What you had said in the past is:
   tc_action_ops
        +

        +--action methods here etc

        +--tc_action_common

        + tc_act_common

           +---sizeof hash table

           +--table row lock

           +--pointer to hash

So I like the first one, but not the second one. The whole reasoning
behind the macros is to allow for augmentation

cheers,
jamal