***********************************
A Real Gun Crime

"Ronald Dixon has two children, two jobs and a desire to keep all of them.
On the night of Dec. 14, 2002, he awoke to find a stranger walking in the
hall outside his bedroom. After calling 911, Mr. Dixon saw the man enter his
2-year-old son's room and he knew he could not wait for the police. He
picked up his 9mm. pistol and went to protect his children.

"When he entered his son's bedroom and confronted the burglar, the thief
charged Mr. Dixon who then fired his 9mm. twice. The burglar was hit and
fled down the stairs and out of the Dixon home. When the police arrived,
they arrested the wounded career burglar, and they also arrested Mr. Dixon.

"Mr. Dixon's home you see is in Brooklyn, N.Y., and he needs to be an
example to everyone. Regardless of the circumstances, anyone who possesses
an unregistered handgun must face jail time in New York. Accordingly, his
possession of the unregistered 9mm. is a misdemeanor, and he now faces up to
one year in prison. Brooklyn had nearly 500 shootings last year, and
District Attorney Charles Hynes cannot condone illegal firearms.

"It does not matter that Mr. Dixon purchased the handgun legally in Florida,
or that he was in the process of registering it in Brooklyn. It doesn't
matter that Mr. Dixon did what any reasonable person would have done under
the circumstances. According to the District Attorney, he must spend time in
jail for his 'crime.'"

- Columnist Paul Walfield, WorldNetDaily.com, 1/25/03

***********************************
Go Forth and e-Multiply

If you know someone who might like to receive News & Views, you can sign 'em
up at:  http://www.chuckmuth.com.

***********************************
Typical PC Government

"The Army's top brass has concluded that mixed-sex recruit training is 'not
efficient' but nevertheless is a policy worth keeping, according to an
internal study."

- Washington Times, 1/27/03

***********************************
Hillary's Homeland Insecurity

"Had (Hillary Clinton) and fellow Democrats not stalled legislation for
government employee unions, the Department Of Homeland Security would have
been up and running months earlier."

- RNC research brief, 1/27/03

***********************************
The Security Gap

"A survey by Democratic pollster Stan Greenberg, released last week, found
that on the issue of keeping America strong, voters prefer Republicans by 50
percent to 22 percent. On the issue of national safety, Republicans are
supported 54 percent to 16 percent, he said."

- Washington Times, 1/27/03

***********************************
Deadly Game of Politics

"With the nation on the brink of war with Iraq, and the economy sluggishly
recovering from a recession and an abysmal bear market, many Americans have
lost confidence in the president - and themselves. Worse, Democrats, stung
by their poor showing in the fall elections, are doing all they can to stoke
the fires of discontent in the hopes it will improve their electoral chances
come 2004."

- Columnist Linda Chavez

***********************************
Getting' Pretty Hot in White House Kitchen

"Polls indicate popular support for the military action against Iraq is
fading, and that most Americans do not favor an attack without U.N.
approval.  But the president knows this is meaningless. It is normal and
natural for there to be jitters when war is near.

"...The president knows that if the war goes badly, he'll be in political
trouble even if the U.N. Security Council unanimously blessed the attack.
And Mr. Bush knows that if the war goes well, those who are criticizing him
now will be trying to convince people they were actually always really on
his side.  Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

- Columnist Jack Kelly

***********************************
International Joke

"The U.N. is very few things it ought to be.  Just look at who's heading up
the United Nations Human Rights Commission: Libya.  That's right: Libya. . .
. The obvious outrageous irony here is that Libya is to human rights what
foxes are to chicken rights.

"...The idea Libya should be chairing the foremost international body for
investigating, condemning and even stopping human-rights abuses throws a pie
in the face of an institution that already stood out as a laughingstock."

- Columnist Jonah Goldberg

***********************************
Small-Gov't Natives Getting Restless

"Addressing the delegates more than two years ago at the Republican National
Convention, President Bush invoked a line that had become a sort of mantra.
'Big government is not the answer,' he said.

"Now, just past the midway point of his first term in office, Bush is
presiding over the largest, most expensive -- and, some would say, most
intrusive -- federal government in history.

"While burgeoning big government cannot be blamed entirely on the Bush
administration, polls have shown Americans becoming more critical of the job
Bush is doing, particularly on economic issues. Within his own political
party, once fiercely loyal conservatives are beginning to question the
direction in which Bush is taking the country."

- Julie Mason, Houston Chronicle, 1/26/03

***********************************
Looking the Other Way

"(T)he Republican Party elites in Washington continue to turn a blind eye
(to border security). As grass-roots conservative stalwart Phyllis Schlafly
has noted, the Republican National Committee's mail-order surveys on
important national issues omit immigration and border security. Meanwhile,
the White House refuses to meet with the Congressional Immigration Reform
Caucus, led by Republican Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado.  'The simple truth
is that we've lost control of our own borders,' Ronald Reagan warned nearly
two decades ago, 'and no nation can do that and survive.'  We ignore
America's lost sovereignty at our peril."

- Columnist Michelle Malkin

***********************************
Tancredo Press Conference

U.S. Representative Tom Tancredo (R-CO), Chairman of the Immigration Reform
Caucus, and several caucus members will conduct a press conference on
Wednesday, January 29, 2003 at 12:30PM to 1:30PM EST in the Cannon Caucus
room, located at 345 Cannon HOB.  The press conference will immediately
follow the Immigration Reform Caucus' first meeting of the 108th Congress to
discuss the Matricula Consular identification card with special guests
Michelle Malkin, national syndicated columnist, and Mark Krikorian,
Executive Director, Center for Immigration Studies.

***********************************
The Run-and-Hit

"The Republican Party in South Carolina is roasting Democratic presidential
hopefuls who have been telling anyone who will listen - outside of South
Carolina, of course - that they will support the NAACP-led economic boycott
of the state, which has been in place since the furor over the use of the
Confederate flag on state property was touched off several years ago.  Rep.
Dick Gephardt seemed to be the candidate to set the spineless standard when
he refused to answer a question about the controversy while visiting South
Carolina several weeks ago, but then, upon leaving the state, commented on
how upsetting the Confederate flag matter really was."

- AmericanProwler.org

************************************
Long Savings on Long Distance

Just 4.97 cents/minute (5.97 cents for some non-regional bell companies) *
All state-to-state calls in the continental U.S. * Residential or commercial
* 6-second billing increments after the first 18 seconds * 24 hours/day * 7
days/week * No access codes * No minimums * No activation fees * No monthly
service charge unless your bill is less than $20.00 a month (then a $2.50
service charge will apply) * No need to change your local phone company * No
hassles * Easy sign-up. *And a small portion of each bill goes to help
continue publishing our FREE Chuck Muth's News & Views e-newsletter. go to
<http://www.GOPLongDistance.com> today.

***********************************
The Goldwater Doctrine

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more
efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote
welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to
repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones
that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose,
or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not
attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first
determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later
be attacked for neglecting my constituents' interests, I shall reply that I
was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am
doing the very best I can."

- Barry Goldwater, "The Conscience of a Conservative"

To help promote the "Goldwater Doctrine" in public policy and government,
join the Goldwater Club by going to: http://chuckmuth.com/goldwater.htm

*********************************
*********************************
Published by The Goldwater Club
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
P.O. Box 15307
Middle River, MD  21220
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views reflect those
of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of the sponsors, advertisers ... heck, even some of our
readers. To be REMOVED, go to: http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsletter/ and
complete the removal request instructions you'll find there. Or send your
request to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# # #