Nanny-Nanny-Boo-Boo

A major-league scuffle broke out on the playground Friday.  Seems that
little Petey was mouthing off and acting like a pinhead, as usual.  One of
the more mature kids, Scotty, finally told Petey to "shut up."

Well, little Petey didn't take too kindly to this.  No, no.  Not at all.
"Oh, you think you are big enough to make me, you little wimp?" challenged
Petey.  "Come on.  Come over here and make me.  I dare you.  You little
fruitcake.  I said, you are a fruitcake."

Adults were summoned to prevent a physical altercation between the two.

Now, this doesn't sound like a very unusual playground story...until you
discover the "playground" was the United State House of Representatives,
that "Petey" is Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.), that "Scotty" is Rep. Scott
McInnis (R-Colo.) and that the above exchange actually took place.

Remember, you get the government you vote for.

If you know someone who might like to receive News & Views, you can sign 'em
up at:  http://www.chuckmuth.com.

Your Voices Were Heard

BRUSHFIRE UPDATE:  Just prior to the start of the 2nd Iraq War, almost 7,000
of you signed Citizen Outreach's online petition urging Congress to openly
debate the notion that maybe it was time the United States pulled out of the
United Nations...and vice-versa.  Later, many of you called and emailed the
House leadership asking that just such a legislative proposal authored by
Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) be brought to the floor for a roll-call vote.

The good news is that all your calls and letters helped persuade Congress to
finally consider this matter.  The House agreed to a vote on Rep. Paul's
amendment last week.

The bad news is that only 73 of his colleagues (including just two
Democrats) joined Rep. Paul in his effort to protect U.S. sovereignty from
the United Nations.

But the good news is, thanks to your efforts we now have our
congress-critters on record.  Find out how YOUR representative in Congress
voted on this matter by going to:

http://clerkweb.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote.exe?year=2003&rollnumber=364

Goin' Postal

Here's a shocker.  In a letter-to-the-editor which appeared in Friday's
Washington Times, the president of the National League of Postmasters said
he didn't think any rural post offices should be closed no matter how much
money they may be losing.

"We believe post offices fulfill a need for this segment of the population
as well as provide invaluable service to these customers that cannot be
measured in dollars," wrote Steve D. Lenior.  "We believe post offices must
be measured by the service they provide and not be judged solely on
financial considerations."

Spoken like a true government bureaucrat.

Goin' Postal This Week on "Always Right"

Unbeknownst to most Americans, earlier this year President Bush established
a presidential commission to study the need for various reforms to our
postal system, especially in light of the growing use of email as well as
the fact that, despite rate increase after rate increase, the post office
still loses money hand over fist.  The commission will release its formal
recommendations on July 31st.  To discuss the good, the bad and the ugly of
the USPS, our guest on "Always Right" this week will be Rick Merritt of
PostalWatch.org.

Tune in Tuesday at 8:00 p.m. EST (or catch the re-run at 11:00 p.m. EST) for
"Always Right with Chuck Muth."  The link to listen in is...

http://www.theotherradionetwork.com/srv1.asx

You can catch previous interviews on "Always Right" by visiting our archives
at:

http://www.theotherradionetwork.com/pgs/archives-fr.htm

Break Out the Dogs:  The New Bull Connor

"The people of Michigan have a simple message to you: go home and stay
there.  We do not need you stirring up trouble where none exists.
Michiganders do not take kindly to your ignorant meddling in our affairs.
We have no need for itinerant publicity seekers, non-resident troublemakers
or self-aggrandizing out-of-state agitators.  You have created enough
mischief in your own state to last a lifetime. . . . Go home and stay there,
you're not welcome here."

- Letter from Rep. John Dingell, Michigan Democrat, to Ward Connerly,
chairman of the American Civil Rights Institute and member of the California
Board of Regents, over an effort by Connerly - obviously in Mr. Dingell's
mind one of those trouble-making uppity negroes - to eliminate the use of
affirmative action in admissions to Michigan colleges

Soda Jerk

"John Banzhaf, a law professor at George Washington University with a
reputation for suing the tobacco industry for billions of dollars, has
threatened to sue the Seattle School Board for selling sodas from vending
machines to middle and high school students. His reported intention is to
fight obesity. . . . Indeed, it is ridiculous that school authorities feel
intimidated into sacrificing a steady stream of funding because a nosy law
professor wants educators to enforce a soda-free school zone."

- Washington Times editorial, 7/19/03

************************************
4.75 cents-per-minute Long Distance

* All state-to-state calls in the continental U.S.
* Residential or commercial
* 6-second billing increments
* 24 hours/day
* 7 days/week
* No access codes
* No minimums
* No activation fees
* Calling Card Rate is 10 cents per minute
* No monthly service charge unless your bill is less than $20.00 a month
(then a $1.99 service charge will apply)
* No need to change your local phone company
* No hassles
* Easy sign-up.
* And a small portion of each bill goes to help continue publishing our FREE
Chuck Muth's News & Views e-newsletter.

Just go to: <http://www.NewsandViewsLongDistance.com> today.

Unemployment Culprits

"The real criminals causing unemployment are the politicians. Perhaps, if we
had a law allowing citizens to bring suit against politicians for passing
harmful legislation, we would all be safer and more prosperous - but of
course, the politicians would never allow themselves to be subject to the
risks they gleefully impose on the rest of us."

- Richard Rahn of the Cato Institute

Overtime

The nation's overtime laws haven't been touched in over 40 years.  Secretary
of Labor Elaine Chao is endeavoring to modernize various rules and
regulations and bring them into the 21st century.  Naturally, the union boss
troglodytes are going bananas over the suggested reforms, sending out
hysterical "chicken little" alerts warning members that the Labor
Department's proposals would wipe out overtime for millions of workers.

"In fact," writes Secretary Chao, "the opposite is true: Our reforms would
guarantee overtime pay for 1.3 million workers, make it easier to determine
and enforce overtime eligibility for many more and help foster job creation
and economic growth."

So there you go.  Who you gonna believe?  The highly-respected and
courageous Secretary of Labor?  Or the discredited lying thugs running the
labor unions?  Hmmm.  This is a tough one.

The Nanny State's Big Mother

"At this point you might be wondering why the government is telling
businesses and employees what they should be paid anyway. In a truly free
society, adult employees (or their union or professional association
representatives) and employers should be allowed to freely negotiate their
own compensation and working conditions.

"The courts have ruled in effect that consenting adults can do anything in
bed with each other they wish. If we believe our adult population is wise
and responsible enough as individuals to figure out how not to get sexually
transmitted diseases and not to be physically and emotionally injured from
sexual freedom, why are not these same individuals wise and responsible
enough to engage in labor agreements without big mother government holding
their diapers?"

- Richard Rahn of the Cato Institute

Who Needs Gays to Destroy Marriage?

"It is hard not to snicker at the idea that same-sex marriages would
threaten straight ones. We straight people in Canada and the US have done a
good job of bringing the divorce rate close to 50 percent all on our own."

- Rondi Adamson in the Christian Science Monitor

Ignoring Black Illegitimacy

"National Center for Health statistics indicate that with 2 in 3 black
babies born to unwed mothers today, black children are far likelier to grow
up poor than youngsters from any other group. And according to the Census
Bureau, black children in single-mother households are nearly 5 times
likelier to live in poverty than are black children born to two-parent
families; 47 percent of black youngsters under 18 who live in female-headed
households are poor compared to only 10 percent who live with two parents.
The problem of illegitimacy has plagued the black community for nearly 40
years, but goes unaddressed by the NAACP or any other major black
organization."

- Columnist Linda Chavez

Affordable Campaign Websites!

Now you can get professional-looking campaign web sites for as little as $10
a month.  That's right...just ten smackeroos a month.  Here's what's
included in this fantastic new program from Campaign Secrets, Inc.
(available ONLY to Republican candidates):

* Free Hosting
* Unique Domain Name
* Personal Email Accounts
* Credit Card Processing
* Unlimited Edits
* Event Calendar
* Volunteer Sign-up Page
* Built-in Bulk Emailer

Campaign Site Builder can be used for political organizations and
non-profits, as well.  For more information, just go to:

http://www.campaignsecrets.com/websites.asp

If you know someone who might like to receive News & Views, you can sign 'em
up at:  http://www.chuckmuth.com.  Also, occasionally, the automatic
listserve we use will "bump" subscribers off the list if your mailbox is
full or experiences some other technical glitch.  If you suddenly stop
receiving News & Views, the first thing you should do is try to re-subscribe
using the link above.

Published by Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439
Washington, DC  20003-4303
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Citizen Outreach is a 501(c)(3) non-profit public policy organization and
does not endorse candidates or lobby for specific legislation.  The opinions
and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views reflect those of the
writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

To be REMOVED, go to: http://www.chuckmuth.com/remove/default.cfm and
complete the removal request instructions you'll find there. Or send your
request to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# # #