Pushin' the Envelope on "Always Right"

Our guest tonight on "Always Right" will be Rick Merritt of PostalWatch.org.
We'll discuss the post office monopoly on mail delivery, as well as access
to YOUR home mailbox, the money it loses year after year, the money it
spends on Lance Armstrong, the non-competitive advantage it has over private
package delivery carriers, its deceptive advertising for Priority Mail, its
claims of sovereign immunity to anti-trust laws, its private police force,
the President's Commission on Postal Reform and much, much more.

Tune in tonight at 8:00 p.m. EST (or catch the re-run at 11:00 p.m. EST) for
"Always Right with Chuck Muth."  The link to listen in is...

http://www.theotherradionetwork.com/srv1.asx

You can catch previous interviews on "Always Right" by visiting our archives
at:

http://www.theotherradionetwork.com/pgs/archives-fr.htm

Well, Let's Start With Howie Dean...

"To believe that the Saddam regime had nothing to hide is to believe that he
threw out the U.N. inspectors in 1998 and then said to himself: 'Great. Now
I can get on with my dream of unilaterally disarming Iraq!'  Who can be such
a fool as to believe any such thing?"

- Columnist Christopher Hitchens

The Mad Party

"One reason why the President...is all but certain to win re-election is the
descent into madness of his (Democrat) opponents. They've let
post-impeachment, post-chad-dangling bitterness unhinge them to the point
where, given a choice between investigating the intelligence lapses that led
to 9/11 and the intelligence lapses that led to a victorious war in Iraq,
they stampede for the latter. . . . This is not a serious party."

- Columnist Mark Steyn

If you know someone who might like to receive News & Views, you can sign 'em
up at:  http://www.chuckmuth.com.

Conservative Revolution a Terrible Failure

"The so-called conservative movement of the last 20 years, starting with the
Reagan revolution of the 1980s, followed by the 1994 Gingrich takeover of
the House, and culminating in the early 2000s with Republican control of
both Congress and the White House, seems a terrible failure today.
Republicans have failed utterly to shrink the size of government; instead it
is bigger and costlier than ever before. Federal spending spirals out of
control, new Great Society social welfare programs have been created, and
the national debt is rising by more than a half-trillion dollars per year.
Whatever happened to the conservative vision supposedly sweeping the
nation?"

- Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), The Federalist, 7/21/03

It's the Spending, Stupid

"In the first three years of the Bush administration, government spending
has climbed -- in real, inflation-adjusted terms -- by a staggering 15.6
percent. . . . To be sure, Bush's budgets have had to account for the
aftermath of Sept. 11 and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  But even when
defense spending is excluded, discretionary spending has soared by nearly 21
percent in Bush's first three years.

"The budget cycle Bush inherited in 2001 closed with a surplus of $127
billion.  The deficits that now stretch as far as the eye can see are the
result of reckless budget-busting that would have Republicans shrieking if
Al Gore were president.  To see such promiscuous budgeting come out of a
Republican administration, with the consent of a Republican Congress, should
outrage loyal GOPers even more.

"...From the pork-laden homeland security bill to last year's bloated farm
bill, Washington's orgy of spending is bringing on the biggest deficits in
American history.  The gigantic prescription-drug entitlement making its way
through the Capitol will force the budget even further into the red and the
nation even deeper into debt.

"Americans count on Republicans to enforce, or at least invoke, the First
Law of Holes: When in one, stop digging.  But Republicans rule both ends of
Pennsylvania Avenue, and the digging proceeds more furiously than ever.  How
will the GOP explain that at its next convention?"

- Boston Globe columnist Jeff Jacoby

Need Some New Economists

"In business/economic news, after announcing that the federal budget deficit
will reach a record $455 billion this year, President Bush rolled out some
economists who claimed deficit spending is not so bad. . . . Memo to W: May
we suggest you talk to a few of those wacky economists who suggest cutting
taxes AND government spending would be good for the economy?"

- The Federalist, 7/18/03

Postal Unions Drive Up Cost of Stamps

"Chuck: Here's a possible answer as to why, in spite of many rate increases,
the post office consistently loses money. I think if you'll check the
history, you'll find that after every rate increase, the postal unions
almost always win a wage increase that approximately offsets the postal rate
increase. Also, check the postal salary level for clerical work against the
rates paid for private industry clerical work."

- News and Views reader

Helloooo, Federal!

"I got in an argument with a mail carrier who would drop off a card instead
of making a good faith attempt to find me to deliver a package.  I told her
FedEx can find me. UPS can find me. Why can't you find me?  She said it's
not part of her job to search for people. I said the way the post office is
operating, none of you will be having jobs, so you won't have to worry about
it.  She became very quiet."

- News & Views reader

Graham Takes Gloves Off

"Sen. Lindsey Graham, the aggressive freshman Republican from South
Carolina, last week acted on his own without a green light from a displeased
White House. He began circulating a letter that is intended to radically
reduce violence in the bitter Social Security wars. 'This is a ceasefire
declaration,' Graham told me.

"Addressed to the chairmen of the Republican and Democratic campaign
committees in both houses, the letter promises, 'We will no longer turn a
blind eye to political attack ads that accuse responsible reform advocates
of wanting to dismantle Social Security or slash benefits of current
retirees.' Contending that 'it is time for the demagoguery to stop,' signers
of the Graham letter 'pledge to defend' all candidates 'who support Social
Security modernization.'"

- Columnist Bob Novak

2A Victory in Cheesehead State

"A state Supreme Court decision allowing home owners and business owners to
carry concealed weapons on their property has re-ignited a movement to relax
Wisconsin's 130-year-old ban on carrying concealed weapons."

- CNSNews.com, 7/21/03

Why We've Learned to Hate Trial Lawyers

"Shawn Perkins of Laurel, Ind., took his family to Paramount's Kings Island
amusement park in Mason, Ohio, on 12 June 2001," reports Randy Cassingham at
StellaAwards.com.  "As they left the park to go to their car, a thunderstorm
was approaching" and lighting struck a car Mr. Perkins was touching,
destroying the car and injuring the man.

Act of God, right?

Not according to his blood-sucking, ambulance-chasing, bottom-feeding
lawyer, Drake Ebner.

Ebner has sued the amusement park for failing to warn Perkins that storm
clouds were gathering and maybe he should take cover rather than running
around a bunch of big, metal objects.  "We believe that the weather system
was predictable," claims Ebner.  "Therefore, the risk and injury to Mr.
Perkins was predictable and therefore avoidable."

What a shame the predictable risk of injury to our society by litigation
extortionists like Ebner isn't avoidable.  Or that a bolt of lightning doesn
't hit HIM where the sun don't shine on his way to the courthouse.

************************************
4.75 cents-per-minute Long Distance

* All state-to-state calls in the continental U.S.
* Residential or commercial
* 6-second billing increments
* 24 hours/day
* 7 days/week
* No access codes
* No minimums
* No activation fees
* Calling Card Rate is 10 cents per minute
* No monthly service charge unless your bill is less than $20.00 a month
(then a $1.99 service charge will apply)
* No need to change your local phone company
* No hassles
* Easy sign-up.
* And a small portion of each bill goes to help continue publishing our FREE
Chuck Muth's News & Views e-newsletter.

Just go to: <http://www.NewsandViewsLongDistance.com> today.

If you know someone who might like to receive News & Views, you can sign 'em
up at:  http://www.chuckmuth.com.  Also, occasionally, the automatic
listserve we use will "bump" subscribers off the list if your mailbox is
full or experiences some other technical glitch.  If you suddenly stop
receiving News & Views, the first thing you should do is try to re-subscribe
using the link above.

Published by Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439
Washington, DC  20003-4303
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Citizen Outreach is a 501(c)(3) non-profit public policy organization and
does not endorse candidates or lobby for specific legislation.  The opinions
and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views reflect those of the
writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

To be REMOVED, go to: http://www.chuckmuth.com/remove/default.cfm and
complete the removal request instructions you'll find there. Or send your
request to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# # #