************************************
New Drug Benefit

Should Congress pass the compromise plan to add a new prescription drug
benefit to Medicare?  Cast your ballot today by clicking on the "Survey
Says!" button at www.citizenoutreach.com.

**********************************
When Harry Married Gary

Folks, as Felix Unger famously taught us back in the 70s, never *assume.*

I have NOT said I support gay "marriage."  I did say that in quickly reading
through the Massachusetts opinion that some valid and legitimate points were
raised which deserve consideration.  And I specifically wrote in yesterday's
News & Views, "I might change my mind after giving (the decision) more
thorough scrutiny."  I'm in the process of doing just that and will comment
on the decision further in the days and weeks to come.

That being said, I continue to reject the hysterics of some that
civilization as we know it is going to come crashing down around us if two
gay guys get a "marriage" license.  It makes great rhetoric for all the
fundraising letters which are, at this very minute, on their way to a lot of
your mailboxes, but I don't buy it.

On the other hand, I am not yet persuaded that gay couples have a "right" to
"marry," although a credible equal protection argument exists regarding some
of the benefits denied gay couples.

I do find it thoroughly inconsistent, however, to argue that one state
shouldn't be forced to recognize a "gay marriage" from another state, but
that through a constitutional amendment every state SHOULD be forced to DENY
"gay marriages," even if a certain state's citizens so desire.  I thought as
conservatives we FAVORED states rights over federal dictates.

Anyway, the Massachusetts opinion is long and couched in a lot of legalese.
It is NOT easy to digest in one or two readings.  I'm going through it line
by line and am not jumping to any conclusions.  You shouldn't either.

For those of you who actually took time to read the decision and referred to
it in your objections you emailed to me...thank you!  I will weigh them
considerably in my in-depth analysis, which I hope to share in the next few
days.  Your comments are VERY helpful and appreciated.

For those who did NOT read the opinion and still quoted me Leviticus despite
my request, I can only remind you that we do NOT live in a theocracy.

In the meantime, we conservatives have a much more urgent issue before us to
consider...

**************************************
Gimme Drugs

A lot of us don't think the federal government should be involved in health
insurance...period.  Medicare is a liberal Great Society program which FAR
exceeded the notion of limited government as envisioned by the Founders.
And perhaps it should be scrapped altogether.

That's a great academic argument.  The reality, however, is that Medicare is
here and it ain't going away any time soon.

Now, the question of prescription drugs is upon us.

If we're going to have Medicare, it doesn't make sense that the program will
pay for kidney dialysis but won't cover the cost of less-expensive modern
drugs which could prevent the need for the kidney dialysis in the first
place.

If the miracles of today's prescription drugs had been available in 1965, it
is inconceivable that a drug benefit wouldn't have been included in the
program.  It is, therefore, inevitable that such a benefit is, sooner or
later, going to be added to the program.

The question is how and when?

The current House/Senate compromise bill is FAR from perfect.  It is NOT
what you or I would want if we had CONSERVATIVE (not just Republican),
veto-proof majorities in both houses of Congress.

We do not.  That's another cold reality.

This compromise bill, for all its faults, is about the best we could
possibly get under the circumstances.  The question then becomes, is it good
enough for conservatives to vote for...or bad enough to reject?

I gotta tell ya, there are a lot of good conservatives who simply say to
kill this turkey.

But there are also a number of equally good conservatives who say this bill
moves the ball downfield in the direction we want it to go; that it's a good
first step and the best we can do right now under the current make-up of
Congress.

Both sides make compelling and persuasive points...which place me firmly on
the fence.

A couple days ago, I was opposed to the bill.  However, after interviewing
Mike Collins on this issue Tuesday evening on "Always Right" and hearing an
extremely persuasive argument by Newt Gingrich at a private briefing
Wednesday morning, I've moved to an official neutral position.  At the very
least, I sure wouldn't tar-and-feather any conservative who votes for this
bill.

And I gotta tell you, seeing Teddy Kennedy and the AFL-CIO come unglued over
this is definitely a point in the bill's favor.

In an ideal world this would be a black and white issue.  But again, we're
not in an ideal world.

Fortunately, no one has to vote TODAY.  But the vote is coming up quickly.
You should weigh ALL the arguments you read on this piece of legislation.
And when you come to your own conclusion, let your representatives know how
you feel.  Public support or opposition from home could make a crucial
difference in how some Members vote on this in the coming days.

To find the contact information for your House member, go to:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

To find your senators, go to:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

***************************************
This Week on Always Right

A House/Senate negotiators released a Medicare reform compromise bill this
week which includes a new prescription drug benefit for seniors.
Conservatives are leery.  But Sen. Ted Kennedy and John Sweeney of the
AFL-CIO are howling mad.  So what should you and I make of this piece of
legislation?  Is it good or bad policy?  Is it good or bad politics?  We
discussed the good, the bad and the ugly this week on Always Right with our
guest Mike Collins, former press secretary for the Republican National
Committee and public policy guru.

For the re-broadcast schedule, please click on the "Always Right Interviews"
button at www.citizenoutreach.com

**********************************
Prez Says.

"Finish the job."

- President George W. Bush urging Congress to pass the Medicare reform bill

**********************************
Back Into the Minority

"Every conservative member of Congress should vote for this Medicare Bill.
It is the most important reorganization of our nation's healthcare system
since the original Medicare Bill of 1965 and the largest and most positive
change in direction for the health system in 60 years for people over 65. .
. . Obstructionist conservatives can always find reasons to vote no, but
that path leads right back into the minority and it would be a minority
status they would deserve."

- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich

**********************************
Medicare Ghetto

"As Congress finalizes plans to expand Medicare, more and more seniors are
beginning to understand that 'free' prescription drugs from the government
will carry a very high price tag.  The tragedy is that our society is
allowing the pharmaceutical industry, phony senior lobbies, and vote-hungry
politicians to force millions of older Americans into a government-run
Medicare ghetto."

- Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas)

**********************************
Last Chance for Reform

"The electoral risk of failing to pass a prescription-drug law applies to
both parties. According to a USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll conducted over the
weekend, 80 percent of Americans responded that they would be upset if
Congress doesn't pass a prescription-drug benefit this year. Republicans
would be blamed by a two-to-one margin. For conservatives, the stakes are
even higher: This prescription-drug bill could offer the last chance to
begin important market-based Medicare reform."

- Washington Times editorial, 11/19/03

**********************************
Opening the Floodgates

"The Medicare conference agreement fails the two critical requirements of a
responsible drug benefit program for the nation's seniors.  The original
idea underlying this legislation was never just about adding drug coverage
to Medicare.  It was about doing so in a way that would not lead to huge
additional liabilities for future generations, and in a way that would
reform the program so that it could respond to the changing needs of the
elderly and disabled.  But the agreement will not lead to that.  Instead it
guts critical reforms, relegating them to a 'demonstration project' that is
doomed to failure.  And it opens the floodgates to new entitlement spending
that will mean huge taxes on future workers."

- Stuart Butler & Robert Moffit of the Heritage Foundation

**********************************
800-Pound Gorilla Sides with GOP

"AARP, the largest and most influential organization of older Americans,
said today that it would strongly support a Republican plan to provide
prescription drug benefits under Medicare.  The endorsement, long coveted by
Republican leaders in Congress, adds momentum to the drive for passage of
the legislation this year, despite objections from many Democrats. . . .
AARP's endorsement provides a seal of approval from a highly respected
organization with 35 million members for a bill written over the last four
years by Republicans, with help from a few Democrats."

- New York Times, 11/17/03

***********************************
Libertarian Think Tank Votes "No"

"The Medicare prescription drug bill to be voted on by Congress this week is
a terrible mistake that will dearly cost our children and grandchildren.
This is not a Medicare reform bill.  This is barely a prescription drug
bill.  This is a bill for politicians and special interests buying favor
with the AARP."

- Michael Tanner, Director of Health and Welfare Studies at the Cato
Institute

**********************************
Conservative Seniors Group Votes "Yes"

"Jim Martin, President of the 60 Plus Association, a network of 4.5 million
seniors, strongly endorsed the Conference Committee Report on HR 1, to
strengthen Medicare by adding a prescription drug benefit.  Martin said that
passage of the prescription drug bill was the highest priority of the 60
Plus Association."

- Sixty Plus Association news release, 11/19/03

**********************************
ACU Double Weights Drug Bill

"ACU's annual Rating of Congress is widely regarded as the 'gold standard'
of conservative measurements of the House and Senate.  The proposed Medicare
drug benefit marks the biggest expansion of the Great Society since Lyndon
Johnson was president and is a bad bill for the health or senior Americans.
Therefore, ACU will double the weight of the vote on the conference report.
ACU will score a vote against passage of the conference report as the
conservative vote."

- American Conservative Union news release, 11/18/03

***********************************
RNC Officially Backs HR 1

"The bipartisan Medicare agreement is good news for some 40 million seniors
and disabled persons on Medicare who for the first time in history will get
help with the cost of medicine.  Beginning next year, all beneficiaries
would save 10-25% off the cost of most medicines through a Medicare-approved
drug discount card.  Starting in 2006, those who lack coverage will be able
to cut their drug bills roughly in half for a $35 monthly premium.
Low-income seniors would receive additional help."

- Republican National Committee website

***************************************
The Goldwater Doctrine

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more
efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote
welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to
repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones
that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose,
or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not
attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first
determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later
be attacked for neglecting my constituents' interests, I shall reply that I
was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am
doing the very best I can."

- Barry Goldwater, "The Conscience of a Conservative"

Chuck Muth's News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a
member-supported 501(c)3 non-profit corp. If you enjoy News & Views, please
make a tax-deductible contribution to support our work:

http://www.citizenoutreach.com

If you'd like to receive our FREE News & Views e-newsletter, you can sign up
at:

http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsletter/

Published by Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439
Washington, DC  20003-4303
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views reflect those
of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or
employees.

To be REMOVED, go to: http://www.chuckmuth.com/remove/default.cfm and
complete the removal request instructions you'll find there. Or send your
request to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# # #