If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

___________________________________

EXTRA!  EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT...

On Thursday, the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee voted to send the nomination of
Dawn Tisdale for a vacancy on the Postal Rate Commission to the entire Senate for a
confirmation vote.  Tisdale is a former postal worker and union leader who should not
be placed in a position of regulating the very system he’s been working in for years.
In our online survey on this matter, 92% of you thought this nominee should be
rejected.  Yesterday, we faxed a letter to the Senate urging just that action.
Included in our letter are selected comments regarding this issue from a number of you
which were posted on our Discussion Board.  You can read our letter to the Senate on
today’s News & Views EXTRA page at:  http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm
_____________________________________

L.A. CAVES

Los Angeles County shamefully buckled under an extortion threat by the ACLU and
announced this week that it will remove a teensy-tiny little gold cross which is
barely visible on its official county seal rather than defend itself in court over the
ridiculous notion that the cross somehow violated the separation of church and state
doctrine.  At least there was one county supervisor who objected to the decision.  “I
do not think we should capitulate,” he said.  “As the largest county in America, if we
roll over, what’s next?”  Look out Corpus Christi!

SO HELP US GOD, THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

“It turns out that Bob Dole, P. X. Kelly and all the other folk who had something to
do with the building of the World War II memorial owe an explanation and an apology to
the American people. It turns out that they edited, or approved the editing of
President Roosevelt’s talk to the nation on Dec. 8, 1941, announcing the Japanese
attack on Pearl Harbor, to make it politically correct.  They chopped off the last
four words.

“No big deal, you say. Yes it is a big deal. They are not idle words; they are key
words.  In the last sentence of his talk Roosevelt said this: ‘With confidence in our
armed forces, with the unbounded determination of our people, we will gain the
inevitable triumph--so help us God.’  The engraving leaves off ‘so help us God.’

“There is no excuse for this. Regardless of one’s religious beliefs, historical
accuracy should demand that the words be included.  Those responsible for leaving them
out should be ashamed of themselves. They have done a disservice to every visitor to
the memorial as well as to the memory of President Roosevelt. This is one time
Americans, regardless of party or religion should rise up in protest.”

- Lyn Nofziger, “Musings,” 6/4/04

BUSH-WHACKER BLINDED BY HATE

“(Democrat sugar-daddy George) Soros says that the pictures from Abu Ghraib ‘...hit us
the same way as the terrorist attack itself.’  Three thousand people died in the
attacks on the World Trade Towers and the Pentagon.  If any of the prisoners died from
the abuse at the Abu Ghraib prison, I missed the story.  Soros looks at  pictures of
bodies falling to the streets around the World Trade Towers; at pictures of the
wreckage of an American Airlines jet in Pennsylvania, and at pictures of the burning
Pentagon, and tells us that these pictures are no worse than the pictures of naked
Iraqi men wearing women's panties on their heads.”

- Talk show host Neal Boortz

HANGING CONGRESSMEN?

“A group of Democrats in the House said yesterday that they would begin their own
probe of the Iraq prison-abuse scandal” in order to keep the issue alive in hopes of
hurting George Bush in the November elections reports Greg Pierce in his “Inside
Politics” column on Friday.  This reminded us of something President Abraham Lincoln
said during the War Between the States: “Congressmen who willfully take actions during
wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be
arrested, exiled or hanged.”

Can’t we do all three?

OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE

“Sen. Carl Levin stopped a Bush nominee to the federal appeals court yesterday in a
continuing effort to reserve the seat for the wife of his first cousin” reported the
Washington Times on Friday.  This was the 20TH TIME that Michigan Judge Henry W. Saad
has had his confirmation vote blocked by Democrats in the Senate.

Note that Saad was NOT one of the judicial nominations which the D’s agreed to allow
to come to the floor for a vote in exchange for the president’s promise not to
exercise his constitutional authority to recess-appoint any more judges for the
duration of his first term.

It’s a damn good thing today’s Republican leaders who are handling the judicial
confirmation war weren’t in charge of negotiating Japan’s surrender back in ‘45.  We’d
all be eating at McSushi’s today.

I’m sorry.  Was that culturally insensitive?

PARTIAL-BIRTH ABSURDITY

“Responding to the San Francisco ruling (that the partial-birth abortion ban was
unconstitutional), Planned Parenthood President Gloria Feldt said it’s not only about
‘a woman’s right to choose,’ but ‘a doctor’s right to practice medicine.’   If
partial-birth abortion is ‘practicing medicine,’ was last month’s beheading of Nick
Berg by Islamic terrorists in Iraq a ‘surgical procedure’?”

- Columnist Cal Thomas

ENUF IS ENUF

Get this one. The “American Literacy Council” protested this year’s National Spelling
Bee in Washington, DC, claiming English is too hard for foreigners to learn, thereby
making it “discriminatory.”  The ALC, in a press release, said English spelling isn’t
something to be celebrated and a bunch of boneheaded picketers wore signs bearing
slogans such as “Enuf is enuf” and “I’m thru with through.”

Again, this from a group calling itself the American LITERACY Council.  What’s the
phonetic spelling of “oxymoron”?

KILLER CUPCAKES

The following letter by News & Views reader Alan Jeffcoat of Racine, WI,  was sent to
Principal Zetterberg in response to her announced “ban” on cupcakes in school.  It’s
fairly representative of the general spirit of most of the emails I’ve seen which were
sent...and is an excellent counter to the minority of so-called “conservatives” who
saw the cupcake ban as a reasonable solution to the so-called “obesity” problem in
today’s kids…

“When does the lunacy end? Never, it seems. I assume your main concern is kids getting
fat from eating sweets. So, I have a solution: Why don't you go to their houses,
disconnect the satellite dish, cable TV, or the X Box. Get them off the couch and
outside playing like most kids did when I was young. Problem solved!

“Although if they were outside playing, there would be some adult telling them they
can't keep score because it has to be fair for all involved and you surely wouldn't
want a child to be stigmatized by being on the losing team. No one can play rough or
ride their bikes or skateboards without padding them up like a hockey goalie.  Let the
kids be kids for heaven sakes!!!”

Enuf sed.

CORRECTION

Florida rescinded its motorcycle helmet mandate a couple years ago, so John Kerry
wasn’t breaking any local helmet law on his visit there this week.  BTW: Florida is
also one of the only states without a state income tax.

SURVEY SAYS!

Will the new Medicare prescription drug discount cards be of significant benefit to
senior citizens once they learn about and start using them?

*  Yes
*  No
*  Not Sure

Cast your vote by clicking the “Survey Says!” tab at www.citizenoutreach.com

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439